格里高利 派克 主演
Starred by Gregory Peck
百万英镑
马克吐温 作品
The Million Pound Note by Mark Twain
曾经有段时间英国非常富裕
Once upon time when Britain was very rich,
在英格兰银行巨大的保管库里
deep in the vaults of the Bank of England
所储存的黄金比其他任何地方都多
there was more gold than any where else in the world.
那时有人常说:"信誉"
"Safe",people used to say,
我的信誉就像英格兰银行一样
"safe as the bank of England".
给您,蒙帕利尔先生
Here it is, Mr. Montpelier.
我相信你对他朴实无华的设计
I trust you will not be disappointed
不会感到失望
with its prosaic design.
恰恰相反
On the contrary,
在我看来她简直像个小美人儿
it seems to me a thing of beauty.
你总在开玩笑,给我看看,奥利弗
If not a joy forever. Allow me, Oliver.
外观精美,手感舒适,这真的很棒
It looks good. It feels good. It is good.
另外只有一张和它一样,
And there's only one other like it,
是为了国际借贷才发行的
issued in connection with a foreign loan.
这我们知道
Yes, we read about about it.
是它让我们有了这种想法
That's what gave us the idea.
什么想法?
The idea?
我想这看起来一定很奇怪
I suppose it does seem a little curious
我们竟然需要一张这么大面额的支票
that we should need such a large sum in the form of one note.
这确实是一个不同寻常的要求
It certainly is an unusually request.
我猜想他是为商业交易而准备的
I imagine it's for business transaction.
是桩很重要的交易,是不是,罗德里克?
Very important business, isn't it, Roderick?
我们要告诉加勒特先生吗?
Shall we tell Mr. Garrat?
你让我别无选择
You leave me no alternative.
你看,加勒特先生
You see, Mr. Garrat,
我和我兄弟需要这张美丽精致独特的废纸
my brother and I require this pretty, exquisite,
unique little scrap of paper...
是为了打赌
for a bet.
打赌?你是说打赌?
A bet? Did you say a bet?
一个很重要的赌
A very important bet.
我很震惊,先生们
Gentlemen, you astound me.
一是震惊于你们需要这张支票的目的
I am astounded at the purpose for which you require this note.
二是震惊于你们把他叫做废纸
I am astounded that you should call it a...a scrap of paper.
请允许我提醒你们注意一下备注,先生们
Allow me to draw your attention to the text.
我保证见票即付给支票人100万英镑
I promise to pay the bearer on demand the sum of one million pounds.
美国政♥府♥未向本领♥事♥馆♥提供资金…
This consulate is not provided with funds by the United States Government...
用以帮助在伦敦的贫困美国公民
for the assistance of needy Americans in London.
真是太糟了
Well, tha's too bad.
我原以为这是唯一能帮助我的地方
I'd have thought this would be just the place.
这并不是我们不能给你提供帮助
Well, that doesn't mean we're not anixious to help.
也许你能在货轮上找份差事,
能够赚到回家的路费
Might find you a berth in a cargo ship, and you could work your passage home.
我有没有可能在这里找份工作?
Well, would there be any chance that I could find work here?
如果你过一两个星期再来,我们愿意帮你咨♥询♥
Well, if you'd like to call back in a week or two, we'll make enquiries.
一个星期?时间太长了
A week? That's a long time.
如果我有点钱再坚持几天的话
If I could just get a little money to last me through the next few days
我自己就可以找工作了
I can find work for myself.
如果你能保证偿还的话,我们可以给你少量贷款
We can give you a small loan if you can guarantee repayment.
你能提供任何形式担♥保♥吗?
Can you offer us any kind of security?
我的肩膀上有个脑袋,还有一双不错的手
Well, I've got a head on my shoulders and a good pair of hands.
如果你们信任我的话,这就是担♥保♥
Unless you don't trust me, that's security, isn't it?
这根本不是担♥保♥
Ah, it's no security at all.
许多人在这里都提出类似的要求
Many people pass through this office making similar requests.
如果我们能通融的话
If we made an exception
早就没完没了了
we wouldn't know where to stop.
如果你愿意的话,我每天都可以到这报到
Or if you like, I'll report back to you every day.
对不起,这绝对不行
Sorry, can't be done.
不过你只要花一个先令,
就可以参加英裔美国人社团
Now for the price of one shilling you can join the Anglo-American Society.
在那你会接触一些有地位的人
That would put you in touch with people
他们或许能够帮助你
in a position to help you.
说来说去最好还是我自己想办法
Well, I think on the whole I'd better try to help myself.
随你的便,先生,
Well, that's up to you, sir.
如果运气不好的话你可以再回来
Come back if you have no luck.
到时候我会的
I'll do that.
我可以吃一点吗?
Er...could I have one of these?
当然可以
Of course.
对不起,吃光了
Sorry. All gone.
谢谢!
Thanks.
好吃的松饼,松饼!
Lovely muffins. Muffins.
新鲜的松饼,好吃的松饼,松饼
Fresh muffins. Lovely muffins. Muffins.
年轻人
Young man.
请你进来一下,好吗?
Would you Step inside a moment, please?
是叫我吗?先生
Who, me, sir?
是你
Yes, you.
从前门进来,在你的左边
Through the front door. On your left.
谢谢!
Thanks.
早上好,先生,请您进来好吗?
Good morning, sir. Will you please come in?
请允许我为您带路
Permit me to lead the way, sir.
他来了,先生
The young gentleman, sir.
谢谢,詹姆斯,没你的事了
Thank you, James. That will be all.
你好,呃......
How do you do, Mr. er...
亚当斯,亨利·亚当斯
Adams. Hery Adams.
请坐吧,亚当斯先生
Come and sit down, Mr. Adams.
谢谢!
Thank you.
您是美国人吗?亚当斯先生
You're an American, Mr Adams?
是的,家在新英格兰
That's right. From New England.
您了解伦敦的情况吗?
How well do you know London?
一点也不了解
Well, not at all, sir.
这是我第一次来这
It's my first trip here.
我不知道你介意不介意,我们问您几个问题?
I wonder, Mr. Adams, if you'd mind asking a few questions?
好,请问吧
Go right ahead.
请问您,您现在在这儿做什么?
May we ask what you are doing in this country?
你有什么计划?
And what your plans are?
一次只提一个,奥利弗
One thing at a time, Oliver.
我只能说我没有计划
Well, I can't say that I have any plans.
我只希望能够找到工作
I'm hoping to find work.
实际上由于一次意外,我才来到这的
As a matter of fact I landed in Britain by accident.
这怎么可能?
How is that possible?
你知道,我在家里有一条自己的小船
Well, you see, back home I have my own little cutter (boat) .
他只有14尺长
She's just a fourteen footer
我从那得到了不少乐趣
but I get a lot of fun out of her.
四周前的一个星期六,我正准备驶出海湾...
Well, four weeks ago last Saturday, I was sailing out of the bay...
你接着说
Well, go on.
说哪了?
Where was I?
你准备驶出海湾
You are sailing out of the bay.
是的,黄昏的时候,我发现刮起了强烈的西风
Oh yes. Well, towards dusk I found myself
in the thick of a westerly gale.
做了我唯一能够做的事情
I did the only thing I could
天黑前全速航行
and ran before it all night.
但是第二天早上,
我几乎认为自己已经没有生还可能的时候
Next morning I'd just about given myself up for lost,
幸亏一艘帆船发现了我
when I was spotted by a brig.
那帆船带你来了英格兰?
And it was the brig that brought you to England?
是的,他们让我在船上帮工以抵消我的船票
That's right. I earned my passage by working as an unpaid hand,
这就是我这身不太体面的穿着的原因
which accounts for my somewhat disreputable appearance.
你不必再为此感到担忧了
You mustn't worry about that.
这简直太妙了!
It's a positive advantage.
我好象不太明白您的意思
I'm afraid I don't quite follow you, sir.
告诉我们,亚当斯先生
Tell us, Mr. Adams...
你原先是做什么工作的?
What sort of work were you engaged in?
我以前在一家船厂工作
I had job with a shipbuilding firm.
你们也许在想你们
能给我提供一份工作,对吗?
Would you be right in thinking
that you two might be able to offer me some kind of work?
别着急,亚当斯先生,别着急!
Patience, Mr. Adams. Patience.
恕我冒昧的问一句
If it's not an indelicate question---
你还有钱吗?
Have you any money?
说老实话我银行的存款是零
Well, to tell you the truth, my bank roll is zero.
这太幸运了,罗德里克,太幸运了!
What luck! Roderick, what luck!
这也许对你们来说很幸运
It may seem lucky to you gentlemen,
电影精选列表