How are tiger numbers doing on the Malaysian peninsula itself?
在上次调查中 只有不到150头老虎记录在册
During the last survey, we captured less than 150 tigers.
所以现在很关键
So it's quite critical right now.
所以马来亚虎正处于生死存亡之际
So there's... We're pretty much at a tipping point for the Malaysian tiger.
若不采取行动 它们将彻底消失
You know, if nothing's done, these animals could become extinct.
对
Yeah. Yes.
鸿总是通过条纹识别老虎
Horng always judges a tiger by its stripes.
会把我们拍摄的所有虎纹影像
He'll compare any images of their markings that we can capture
与自建数据库进行对比 来评估老虎数量是否在增长
against his own database to see if tiger numbers are bouncing back.
不管拍到的老虎是否是以前记录过的
If you capture any new tigers, or even a tiger we've captured before,
我们都能看清种群的走势是上涨还是下降
then we can see the trend, whether they're actually going up or going down.
这座石灰岩山将成为我们搜索的重心
The limestone mountain will be the focus of our search.
这处峡谷非常深 老虎必须穿过一个窄点
And this deep gorge should funnel the tigers through a pinch point,
而这就是安装摄像机的最佳位置
making it the perfect place to rig our cameras.
但要到那里 路途遥远艰难
But getting up there is a serious trek.
天气湿热
The heat, the humidity...
我很喜欢
I absolutely love it!
这是件苦差事
It's hard graft.
这里非常适合我
That's a little bit of me in there.
现在地面很滑
Very, very slippy at the moment.
落在队尾就是这样
That's the thing when you're last.
大家都在打滑 踉踉跄跄
Everyone's slipping... and sliding.
当你垫底时
When you're last,
简直要命 会一直遇到阻碍
you're bloody... You get caught back,
步步都踩在别人的脚印坑里
and then you're in everyone else's footsteps.
但要是打头阵
But when you're at the front,
就得吃一肚子蜘蛛网了
you just eat loads of spider webs!
壮观吧? - 好漂亮啊
This is nuts, innit? - It's beautiful.
对
Yeah.
鸿 这些石灰岩墙也太大了
Horng, it's starting to feel a bit... getting a bit claustrophobic
都开始让人产生幽闭恐惧了
with these big, massive limestone walls.
其实挺吓人的
It's kind of daunting, actually.
然后突然遇到这么个漏斗状的窄道
And then you get this tiny little funnel spot, ey?
老虎会从这里经过吗?
So do the cats walk along here?
对 现在我们到了石灰岩走廊
Yeah. So this is the limestone corridor now.
所有动物都必须经过这个狭窄通道
This is the really narrow spot that all the animals have to pass through
才能从这边山谷到另一侧山谷
to go from this valley over here to the other valley on the other side.
这里就是我们要设置相机陷阱的地点
This is the spot. So this is where we definitely need to rig some traps.
总共100台相机
A grand total of 100 camera traps
被架设在老虎领地的核心地带
rigged across the heart of tiger territory.
我们必须尽可能完整拍摄老虎
We have to get as much tiger in our shot as possible...
因为唯有依靠这些条纹 才能辨别它们的身份
because we can only tell who they are from their stripes.
所有条纹都不能遗漏
All their stripes.
你不知道
You can never really, really predict the height
拍到的动物有多高
of whatever animal you're trapping.
可能拍到头部
It might cut the head off the cat,
也可能拍到下巴
or it could be the chin.
所以只能听天由命了
So you've just gotta, like, hope for the best.
现在只差老虎现身了
Now all we need is a tiger.
兄弟 我需要有个人假扮老虎
I'll need a stunt double, please, mate.
可惜那并非真虎
And no, that is not a tiger.
德克和阿尔多在丛林深处时...
Whilst Dec and Aldo are deep in the forest...
我待在河流这边
I'm targeting the river.
还有位专家从旁协助
And I've got some expert help.
当地向导兼拍摄专家 纳维恩
Local guide and filming specialist, Naveen.
小维 你觉得这个地方怎么样?
Vi, what do you think about this spot here?
妙极了
Well, well, well, well. This is perfect,
老虎很可能会沿着这条小路走
because tigers might be following this trail.
没错
Right.
然后横渡这条河 这样它们就能掌控大♥片♥领地
And then cross this river, so they can control a large territory.
我们只能希望 这条河对老虎有吸引力
We just have to hope that the river will be a magnet for tigers.
但或许不要现在
But maybe not just yet.
刚才好像有鱼轻咬了下钩
I thought I had a little nibble earlier on.
我得去你那边的上游看看
I might go upstream of you.
兄弟 明智之举
Yeah, that's probably wise, mate.
德克 你觉得它们在哪? - 鱼吗?
Where do you reckon they are, Dec? - What, the fish?
对 - 早被你吓跑了
Yeah. - Far away from you, mate.
恐怕今晚只能吃米饭和青菜了
Might just be... rice and veg tonight.
这是世界上体型最大的蚂蚁
This is the biggest ant species in the world.
而且数量惊人
And there's a lot of them.
把我的吊床当成路了
Using my hammock as a bit of a thoroughfare.
传递情报
Passing information. Little bit of passing.
它们要去哪儿?
Where are they going?
早上好
Morning.
今日首要任务是煮咖啡
Order of the day is coffee.
你们对老虎有什么看法?
So what do you guys think about the tiger?
是心怀畏惧 还是因身处虎域而兴奋?
Are you fearing the tiger here, or are you kind of excited to be in its land?
感受如何?
How are you guys feeling about it?
它们早就知道我们来了 这一点令人很惊讶
You'll be surprised that they know we're here.
它们能听见我们 能感知我们
They can hear us, they can feel us.
在这片区域 老虎数量稀少
With such a small amount of tigers in this geographical area,
对人类会更加警惕
then they'll be even more scared of humans.
你知道它们为何被偷猎吗?
Do you know what they're being poached for?
早年人们猎虎 通常只为获取虎皮
It used to be, years ago, people would hunt them just for their skins.
但如今虎皮几乎成了副产品
But now the skins are almost like a by-product.
虎骨被熬煮浓缩成
They're boiled down and turned into little...
香烟盒大小的块状虎胶
little things of glue, about the size of a cigarette packet.
比如 我们三人聚会时
Like, we three would meet,
各自带着喜欢的酒 龙舌兰 梅斯卡尔 威士忌
and have our preferred spirit, tequila, mezcal, whiskey.
然后削下
And then you shave off
一点虎胶 放入酒中
a little part of the tiger... stock cube of glue into your drink.
这简直... - 这便是我彰显财富的方式
That's just... - And then that's like my sign of wealth,
和你们两个相比 我能分享 如此珍贵的东西
over you two, is that I'm... able to share such a valuable product.
这是令人心痛的事实
That's... that's heart-breaking, you know?
似乎很疯狂 对吧?
It just seems crazy, right?
疯狂 却暴利
Crazy, but lucrative,
这正是马来亚虎濒临灭绝的主因
which is largely why there are so few Malayan tigers left.
黑市上一只虎价值
Just one animal is worth tens of thousands of dollars
数万美元
on the black market.
我正前往边境地带
So I'm heading out to the border area,
实地考察盗猎现状
to just see actually what the situation is like with poaching.
德克和小维能把摄像机架完
And Dec and Vi can finish rigging the cameras.
在公园里 老虎受到严格保护
Inside the park, tigers are heavily protected.
阿尔多
德克兰和维亚内
外界情况就更为复杂了
Outside, things get harder.
护林员报告称大汉山国家公园边缘 已出现盗猎迹象
Rangers have reported signs of poaching right on the edge of Taman Negara,
马来西亚皇室虽然已经给此处
in an area already earmarked by the royal family of Malaysia
增加保护措施
for more protection.
但尚未部署常态化巡逻队
But there aren't any active ranger patrols here yet,
我需亲自勘察我们面临的威胁
so I need to see what we're up against.
老实说开局不利
And, to be honest, it's not a great start.
已经有三条水蛭上身了!
Three leeches already!
想到有生物正沿着腿吸食鲜血
Quite a grim feeling, knowing that you've got things feeding on your blood,
实在毛骨悚然
all the way up your legs.
危险无处不在
Hidden dangers are all around us.
社区护林员拉菲知道要去哪里勘察
Rafi, a community ranger, knows exactly where to look.
拉菲 你看到了什么?
Rafi, what have you seen?
快看那里
Look, look there.
蝮蛇
Pit viper.
对 就在那儿 我看见了 藏得可真够隐蔽的 快看!
Yeah, I can see him just there. So well camouflaged. Look at that!
什么东西? - 蝮蛇
What is it? - Pit viper.
蝮蛇? - 对
Pit viper? - Yeah.
这玩意儿有毒吧? - 嗯
This guy will be venomous, right? - Uh, yes.
拉菲 这个发现不错
Good spot, Rafi.
你眼神真好! - 对
You've got good eyes! - Yes.
这个位置离赤道近 天黑得快
This close to the equator, the sun disappears fast.
我们得赶紧扎营
We need to make camp.
用藤蔓当固定绳?
So, vines for tying?
跟这帮人待两小时就能学到真本事
What you can learn off these guys in a couple of hours is absolutely amazing.
我得磨磨我的帕兰刀了
I need to sharpen my parang.
营地虽简陋 好歹不用睡地上