while your Mommy and I put together our full presentation.
-好的 爸爸妈妈 -好
- I got this, Mom and Dad. - Okay.
我来照顾小孩们
I'll take the kiddos.
我知道你们的演讲是编的
I know the presentation was made up,
但这主意听起来真的很不错
but it actually sounds like a really great idea.
好吧
Okay.
谢谢
Thanks.
老天爷
Oh, God.
我能看出我弟弟心事很重
I could tell my brother was dealing with a lot
而且他不想跟爸妈说
and didn't want to talk about it with my parents,
但我知道他会对我敞开心扉
but I knew he would open up to me.
嗨 约翰
Hey, Johan.
你想对我敞开心扉吗
Do you want to open up to me?
不想
No.
得了吧 约翰 我可是你姐
Johan, come on. I-It's me.
你感觉怎么样
How are you feeling?
我很好啊
I'm fine.
听着 你经历的事我也经历过
I've been where you've been.
所以我们可以聊聊
So we can talk about it.
记得丹尼尔告诉宫城老师他被霸凌吗
Remember when Daniel told Mr. Miyagi he was being bullied?
你要教我空手道吗
You're going to teach me karate?
不 但我是你能依靠的肩膀
No. But I'm a shoulder to lean on.
我不需要拥抱
I don't need a hug.
都跟你说了 我很好
I told you, I'm fine.
我们爱你
You are loved!
老天爷啊
Oh, my God.
"和豆子有关" 我刚刚说的是什么话
"Legume-based"? What was that?
不不不
Oh, no, no, no, no.
都怪我不该提起那个敏感话题
After the way I just threw you under the bus,
宝贝 你太厉害了
babe, that was heroic.
我是说 听上去你这些年来
It -- it sounded like you've been explaining slurs
好像一直在跟孩子们解释羞辱
to children for years.
你们解决约翰被人喊绰号♥问题了吗
You guys figure out that little nickname problem with Johan?
老爹 这是私人育儿谈话 好吗
Dad, this is a private parenting conversation, okay?
这个家什么时候有隐私可言了
Since when is anything in this house private?
你们连房♥门都不锁
You leave your doors unlocked
就像住在公园厕所一样
like you live in a park bathroom.
我们在想该怎么跟约翰说
We're trying to figure out what to say to Johan.
这是五级警戒吗 我们必须得解释
Is this a Level Five situation, like when we had to explain
为什么丹尼斯和杂货店的那家伙
why Denise and that guy from the grocery store
-一起过夜了 -是啊
- were having a sleepover? - Uh-huh.
或者是像我们看到小沙曼·戴夫掩埋沙曼·戴夫
Or is it a Level Ten like when we saw Shaman Dave Jr.
这样的十级问题
burying Shaman Dave Sr.?
怎么换了地方
Why are we now in a second location
还在讨论约翰的浅肤色问题呢
still talking about Johan's light-skinned problems?
不管怎么说
At the end of the day,
都没有那个词那么难听
it's not as bad as the N-word
因为约翰是黑人
because Johan is Black.
至少他还留下了少许纯真
At least he's still got a little bit of his innocence left.
他没遇到种族歧视的十二级飓风
He didn't get a hurricane of racism,
只是七级的热带风暴
he got a tropical storm.
你说的对
You're right.
我知道那个词早晚会让他难堪
I know the ugliness of that word is coming for him.
可那一天总会来的
And one day it'll happen,
但是目前他还只是个孩子
but as of today he is still the boy
偶尔闯进来碰上我在洗澡
who accidentally walks in on me in the shower.
你知道吗 保罗
You know what, Paul?
这明显是七级问题
It's clearly a Level Seven.
好的 好的 我们只是
Okay. Okay, well, we just --
走进去 和他交流
we go in, we talk to him,
做一些七级问题的心理治疗
we do some good Level Seven healing,
假装一开始就什么事都没有的样子
and we can pretend like we nailed this from the start.
听起来不错
Sounds like a plan.
我们出发
Yeah. Let's go.
你先走
Right behind you.
他经常撞上你在洗澡吗
Hey, how often is he walking in on you in the shower?
经常
Oh, often.
嘿 小豆子
Hey, little string bean.
不 不 不能再这么说了
Nope, nope, can't say that anymore.
小家伙
Hey, buddy.
我们知道你今天过得不顺
We know you've had a hard day.
我们只是想来看看你感觉怎么样
We're just checking in to see how you're feeling.
很痛
Sore.
这里吗
Yeah. Like...here?
不 这里
No, here.
典型的滑板事故
Classic skateboarding accident.
我第一次豚跳没有练好
I stuck my first ollie
然后在庆祝舞上摔了一跤
and then ate it on my celebration dance.
即用双脚带板起跳
看起来他还好
Seems like he's okay.
但是我们怎么知道他不是在拿滑板当挡箭牌
Yeah, but how do we know he's not using skateboarding
试图隐藏他的情感创伤
as a shield to hide his emotional trauma?
说的对
Good point.
你是在拿滑板当挡箭牌
Are you using skateboarding
隐藏你的情感创伤吗
as a shield to hide your emotional trauma?
你可以告诉我们 我们是来帮助你的
You can tell us. We're here to support you.
是的 我们明天要去学校
Yep, tomorrow we are gonna go down to the school
确保这事不再发生
to make sure this never happens again.
不需要这么做
You don't need to do that.
你为什么不想让我们去学校
Why don't you want us to go to the school?
因为学校里一些人觉得我是墨西哥人
Because some people at school think I'm Mexican.
是的 然后你告诉他们你不是
Right. But then you just tell them that you're not.
也许我之前应该这么做
I probably should've done that.
你没有这么做吗
You -- You didn't do that?
没有 我只是顺其自然
Nah. I've just been rolling with it.
我还没有纠正他们
I haven't been correcting them.
这可能是一切发生的起因
Which may be how this got started in the first place.
等等 等等 什么
Wait, wait, wait, what?
所以你在冒充墨西哥人
S-So you've been passing... for Mexican?
是的
Yes.
但我还没冒充西班牙人
But I'm not passing Spanish.
这是另一个话题了
That's another conversation.
现在上升到十级了
Okay, this is Level Ten.
当我父母发现
When my parents found out
我弟弟冒充墨西哥人时
my brother had been passing for Mexican,
他们百感交集 但主要是疑惑
they felt a lot of feelings. But mostly...confusion.
约翰
So, Johan,
为什么你想让大家觉得你是墨西哥人
why would you want people to think you were Mexican?
-倒不是说墨西哥人有什么不好 -对
- Not that there's anything wrong with being Mexican. - No.
我会一样爱你
I would love you just the same
即使你是墨西哥人 或是西班牙人
even if you were Mexican. Or Hispanic.
或者拉丁美洲人
Or Latino.
是说的一种人吗
Are those the same?
-认真点 -你在说什么
- Get it together. - What are you talking about?
这问题会妥善解决的 我能搞定
This is going great. I'm nailing it.
这不是我的错 有点像滚雪球一样
It's not my fault. It all just kind of snowballed.
一些人觉得我是墨西哥人
Some people thought I was Mexican
不去纠正他们反而比较轻松
and it was just easier not to correct them.
约翰 假装自己是别的种族不好
Johan, it's not okay to pretend to be a different race.
又没伤害到别人
Who's it hurting?
说实话 这是我做过的最聪明的事情
Honestly, it's the smartest thing I've done.
我交了更多的朋友 而且我已经在准备成人礼了
I've got more friends, and I'm already planning my quinceañera.
约翰 你不能假装自己是别的种族
Johan, you can't pretend you're something you're not.
为什么不能
Why not?
为什么不能
Why not?
这是文化剽窃 就像瑞秋·多尔扎尔
Cultural appropriation. Rachel Dolezal.
一位假装自己是黑人的白人女性
但是说回来
But back then,
那时候我们还不知道这些 于是我说了
we didn't know about all of that, so I said...
我简直不敢相信我还要解释
I can't even believe I have to explain it.
直到他25岁之前 我都能用这个答案把他打发走
I was able to brush him off with that answer until he was 25.
你知道约翰在假扮墨西哥人吗