1986年 我13岁
In 1986, I was 13
世界日新月异
and the world was changing.
奥普拉·温弗瑞开办了她的第一个脱口秀节目
Oprah Winfrey had her first talk show,
携手美国给了乔丹·皮尔电影《我们》的灵感
Hands Across America gave Jordan Peele the idea for "Us,"
苏联发射了太空站
the USSR launched a space station,
哈利·贝瑞获得了美国小姐比赛的亚军
and Halle Berry came in second place in Miss USA.
她败给了克里斯蒂·菲奇娜
She lost to Christy Fichtner.
但克里斯蒂没得过奥斯卡
But Christy doesn't have an Oscar.
-1986年对我的家庭也是重大的一年 -早安
- 1986 was a big year for my family, too. - Morning.
"艾丽西娅·约翰逊 合伙人"
"Alicia Johnson. Partner."
我妈妈正在适应新的升职
My mom was leaning into her new promotion.
当爸爸成为老师之后 他找到了自己的使命
And when dad became a teacher, he found his calling.
同学们好
Hello, class.
我是杰克逊老师
I'm Mr. Jackson.
但我希望你们能叫我朋友
But I hope you'll call me...friend.
我妹妹圣莫尼卡
And my sister Santamonica
发现自己是个坏女孩 多亏了杰克逊女士
realized she was a nasty girl, thanks to Ms. Jackson.
约翰 蕾恩鲍
Johan? Rainbow?
我需要伴舞
I need backup dancers!
那时候 家人们会聚在一块
Back then, families also used to gather
一起看电视
to watch television together,
我们的家庭节目是《正义前锋》
and our family show was "Dukes of Hazzard."
今晚要看《正义先锋》了 好激动哦
Man, I am too excited for "Dukes of Hazzard" tonight.
没错 我们就是喜欢看两个老男孩
That's right, we loved a show about two good ol' boys
开着带邦联旗的车
outrunning the cops in their car
把警♥察♥甩在身后
with a Confederate flag on it.
某种程度上
In some ways,
1986年已经是很久以前了
1986 was a really long time ago.
你们俩有了相同的最爱节目
Is it weird that the two of you
是不是有点奇怪
have the same favorite TV show?
每周的同一天 我们都会一起希望警♥察♥输
Once a week, he and I are both rooting against the police.
我才不会去质疑
I'm not gonna question it.
-我喜欢你的新造型 孩子 -谢谢 老爸
- Love the new look, son. - Thanks, Dad.
把你打扮得像个搭车客
Getting you not to dress like a hitchhiker
是登月计划之后
is the best use of my tax dollars
我交过的税款的最好用途了
since the moon landing.
你什么时候开始交税了
Since when do you pay taxes?
1986年 我成为了一个
In 1986, I was coming into my own
天赋异禀的年轻混血女人
as a young, gifted, and mixed young woman.
我想帮我的弟弟 约翰
And I wanted to help my brother, Johan,
也能获得和我一样的自信
grow into the confidence that I had.
爸 妈
Mom, Dad.
有个校园恶霸把约翰骂的很惨
A bully at school called Johan a really bad name.
骂的很惨 他骂你什么了
A really bad name? What did he call you?
我不记得了
I don't remember.
他的第三次脑震荡还没恢复 也许他说的是实话
He's on his third concussion. He may be telling the truth.
蕾恩鲍 那个校霸骂你弟弟什么了
Rainbow, what name did that bully call your brother?
太难听了 我说不出口
It's so bad I can't say it.
我可以说 我能说吗
I can say it. Can I say it?
求求你们了 让我说吧
Oh, please! Please let me say it!
等等 不会是
H-Hold up. It's -- It's not...
没错 应该就是那个词
Yeah. I think it's that word.
不
Oh, no.
我父母无法相信他们的儿子
My parents couldn't believe that their son
被种族歧视的词羞辱了
dhad been hit with the Mac Daddy of slurs.
那是第一次
For the first time,
约翰被人叫
Johan was called --
好了 大家都是成年人
Okay. We're all adults here.
我就直接说了
So I'm just gonna say it.
等等 说了之后不会有麻烦吧
Wait. I'm not gonna get in trouble if I say it, right?
融和
不容易
第二季 第一集
我真心希望这天永远不会到来
I really hoped this day would never come.
种族歧视从不迟到
Racism. Always right on time.
就像日本的列车一样
Like a Japanese train.
爸 你这话有点种族歧视
Whoa, Dad, that's a little racist.
你去过东京吗
Have you ever been to Tokyo?
列车每次都是准时到
They're always on time.
是啊 人们还穿着搞笑的忍♥者服
Yeah, with their funny little ninja costumes
带着武士刀
and samurai swords.
其实我们一直在为这一天做准备
You know what? We've been prepared for this.
你说的没错
You're right.
-我去拿活页夹 -活页夹
- I'll get the binder. - Binder?
是的 作为参加过反歧视运动的人
Yeah. As involved in The Movement as I was,
我亲眼见过羞辱对孩子的影响
I saw the impact slurs had on children.
于是我做了这个活页夹
So I made this binder.
"你被骂那个词了"
"So You've Been Called The N-word"?
我本来想做成童书的
I tried to make it into a children's book,
但当时美国的环境还不允许
but America wasn't ready for it.
"你被那个词骂了
"You've been called a word,
这很粗鲁 也很恶劣
it's rude and it's dirty,
这不是真正的你 但还是很伤人"
it's not who you are, but still it feels hurty."
-等等 爸 别说了 -不 我知道
- Wait, Dad, stop. - No. I know.
"伤人"不是个词 但仍然适用
"Hurty" isn't a word, but it still applies.
好了
Okay.
听着
Listen.
我知道你所经历的很痛苦
I know what you went through hurts.
但不幸的是 这个国家的每个黑人
But sadly, every Black person in this country
都遭遇过你的经历
has felt what you're feeling.
我经历过
I went through this,
你们的丹丹姨妈经历过
your Aunt Dee-Dee went through this,
马丁·路德·金二世也经历过
Martin Luther King Jr. Even went through this.
等等
Wait.
马丁·路德·金二世也被叫成食豆佬吗
Martin Luther King Jr. Was called a beaner?
美国人对墨西哥人的贬称
-啥 -什么
- What? - Wait, what?
他们这么叫你的
That's what you were called?
但你不是墨西哥人
But you're not Mexican.
如果那人真是你♥爸♥爸的话
Assuming that guy really is your dad.
我说最后一次
For the last time,
我们去的不是滥交公社
we weren't an orgy commune,
我们去的是推♥翻♥资本主义公社
we were an overthrow capitalism commune.
好吧 所以不是那个词
Whew, okay. So it wasn't the word.
我真是松了口气
I feel so relieved.
我就是这个意思 这没什么大不了的
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. It's not that big of a deal.
不能这么说 这还是个刻薄的词
No, it's not nothing, it's still a mean word,
但我从没想过会是这样
but, um... never saw this coming.
也许我们早该这样想
We all probably should've.
这发型绝对是为了庆祝五月五日节
That hair definitely celebrates Cinco de Mayo.
墨西哥节日
我很高兴我不用再听
Well, I'm just glad I don't have to listen
那个活页夹里的任何东西了
to whatever else is in that binder.
我也不用为了跟一个小孩打架
And I don't have to dress up like a 10-year-old
把自己装成10岁小孩
to fight a kid.
我以前这么干过
I have done it before.
为啥你们都松了口气
Why are you all relieved?
这样称呼别人还是很恶劣
It's still a terrible thing to call someone.
当然了 这是
Oh, sure, yeah, it's --
-很恶劣 -非常恶劣
- it's terrible. - It's so terrible.
-简直恶毒 -太恶毒了
- Awful. - Awful.
-很差劲 -可怕
- Really bad. - Horrible.
艾丽西娅 你想
Alicia, d-do you want to...
告诉孩子们那个词的历史吗
tell the kids the history of that word?
行吧
Yeah.
这个 这是
It's a...
和豆子有关的羞辱词汇
legume-based slur.
这个 这个
It's, uh -- It's...
亲爱的 我能简单和你聊两句吗
Honey, can I have a quick sidebar with you?
-私聊 -当然可以
- Conversation? - Oh, absolutely.
孩子们 你们要不
Kids, why don't you, uh,
在《正义前锋》开播前先去玩会儿
go play before "Dukes of Hazzard"
我和妈妈先准备一下演讲