Did you know Johan was pretending to be Mexican?
不知道 但我有个推测
No clue, but I do have a theory.
也许我们真的是墨西哥人
Maybe we are Mexican.
也许这就是为什么爸妈去公社的时候
Maybe that's why Mom and Dad burned their American passports
烧了他们的美国护照
when they went to the commune.
他怎么会觉得这样没关系
How did he think it was okay?
这就是为什么我想让他对我敞开心扉
This is why I wanted him to open up to me.
我以为他是受害者
I thought he was the victim,
但他一直在隐瞒自己的种族
but he's been lying about who he is.
没什么大不了的
You know, it's not a big deal.
我总是假扮成不同的人
I pretend to be different people all the time.
在学校 我假装很有钱
I pretend to be rich at school.
这不一样 你只装了一次
But that's not the same thing and that was one time.
上周 我假装腿瘸了
Last week, I pretended to have a limp.
得到了很多关注
I got so much attention.
好吧 那可不太好
Okay, well, that's not great.
晚上 我给丹丹姨妈打电♥话♥
And I call Aunt Denise on the phone at night
假装是通灵师
pretending to be a psychic service.
赚了200块
I've made $200.
还有 我和一个
Oh, and I'm pen pals
以为我是男囚的女人是笔友
with a woman who thinks I'm a male prisoner.
怎么了
What?
孩子们把你们的薯片都吃了
The kids ate all y'all chips.
我说的"孩子们"是指我自己
And by "Kids," I mean me.
"薯片"是指用了你所有的洗衣粉
And by "Chips," I mean I used all your laundry detergent.
你不会相信我们发现了什么
You will not believe what we found out,
约翰一直让其他孩子以为他是墨西哥人
Johan has been letting other kids think he's Mexican.
他在冒充
He's passing.
冒充墨西哥人
For Mexican?
要冒充也是冒充白人
If you're gonna pass, pass for white.
至少冒充意大利人
Or at least Italian.
事实上 这也说得通
Actually, that makes sense.
这怎么说得通
How does any of this make sense?
你们都在教那个可怜的孩子以自己的黑人身份为耻
You all taught that poor boy to be ashamed of being Black.
你们带他到一个没有人洗澡
You took him to that commune where nobody showered
没人谈论种族的公社
and nobody talked about race,
这不就是在教他以自己的黑人身份为耻吗
and that taught him not to be proud of his Blackness.
万一她是对的呢
What if she's right?
我觉得我们和他谈过种族问题
I feel like we do talk to him about race.
性的问题还没谈过 但我在准备下一个活页夹
Sex stuff, not yet, but I'm working on another binder.
但我们在他十岁之前都没谈过
But we didn't for the first 10 years of his life.
公社是一个不因种族 阶级或身体
The commune was a place where there was no shame
而产生羞耻的地方
associated with race or class or bodies.
这也许解释了为什么他总在你洗澡的时候走进来
Which may explain why he's been walking in on you in the shower.
也许你是对的
Maybe you're right.
也许他只是需要激发起自己的黑人自豪感
Maybe he just needs a booster shot of Black Pride.
让他想起所有
Remind him of all the things
因黑人身份而自豪的事
that make him proud of being Black.
是的 跑步 跳跃 摇摆舞
Yeah, the running, the jumping, the jive talkin'.
你不需要待在这里
You don't need to be here.
也许那样最好
That's probably best.
所以 那晚的家庭日程是
So, on the family schedule for that night,
黑人自豪感入门课
Black Pride 101.
我们觉得为自己的身份自豪是很重要的
We think it's important you have pride in who you are.
我完全同意 重要的是
I couldn't agree more. It's important
我们都为自己的身份自豪
we all have pride in who we are.
所以我们要开始教你们更多
So we're gonna start teaching you more
黑人种族传统
about your Black heritage.
我不需要说教
I don't need lessons.
我是家里最纯正的黑人
I'm the Blackest person in this family.
看看我的走姿
Watch me walk.
圣莫 你不能从别人
Santi, you can't tell by the way somebody --
她是对的
Ooh! She's right.
她有黑人的走姿
She walk Black.
现在开始 我们会订阅
Starting now, we are subscribing
《乌木》和《喷气》杂♥志♥
to both Ebony and Jet magazines.
我们支持黑人出版
We support Black publishing.
我们要去雷村黑斧合唱团的下一场音乐会
We're going to the next Ladysmith Black Mambazo concert.
你俩就是为此而生的
This is what two of you were conceived to.
而现在 我们要看《紫色》
And right now, we are going to watch "The Color Purple".
没错 不仅因为
That's right. And not just because
有个混♥蛋♥把音像店的《根》先租走了
some jerk already rented Video World's copy of "Roots."
但今晚有《正义先锋》
But "Dukes of Hazzard" Is on tonight.
我们会错过节目的
We're gonna miss our show!
这个重要多了
This is more important.
让我们都坐下来 欣赏这个
So let's all sit down and enjoy this beautiful story
关于黑人女性寻找内在力量的动人故事
about Black women finding inner strength.
你们会明白 身为黑人是多么美好
You're gonna see just how wonderful it is to be us.
好了 现在
Okay, so...?
所以我们学到了 全世界都讨厌黑人
So the lesson's that the world hates Black people?
这我知道
I get it.
什么 不不
What -- What? No. No.
我们学到了孩子可以非常轻易地
Is the lesson that kids can be taken from their moms
从妈妈身边被带走吗
really, really, really easily?
我的天 不不不不不
Oh, my God. No. No, no, no, no.
这部电影是要告诉你们这个道理
That movie was supposed to teach you this --
对 黑人是要面对很多困难
Yes, Black people are up against a lot.
但我们以克服这些困难为荣
But there is pride in -- in what we've overcome.
这完全就是我们的主题歌♥
It's literally our theme song.
没错 但现在
Yeah, but right now,
我们得克服错过我们电视节目的困难
we have to overcome missing our show.
听着 我很感激你们所做的一切
Look, I appreciate what you guys are doing,
但相信我 假装是墨西哥人更轻松些
but trust me, it's just easier to pretend to be Mexican.
我只用模仿他们的口音就行了
All I have to do is an accent.
-老天 -你在模仿口音吗
- Oh, God. - You've been doing an accent?
-那么做是不对的 约翰 -什么
- That is not okay, Johan. - What?
模仿冒犯人的口音是绝对不对的
Is it never okay to use an offensive accent.
没错
That's right.
除非很搞笑 不
Unless it's funny. Uh, no.
这样吧 我们先听听再决定
You know what? Let's hear it and decide.
有点切奇·马林
It's a little bit of Cheech Marin
和瑞奇·里卡多那种感觉
and a little bit of Ricky Ricardo.
我简直不敢相信
I can't believe this.
我走了
I'm out.
宝贝 听我说
Baby, listen to me.
如果你试图冒充其他种族
If you try to pass as something else,
是有代价的
there's a cost.
你会背离自己的种族
You're turning your back on your community.
黑人永远都是你的同胞
Black people will always be your people
而且他们永远知道
and they will always know
-你是他们中的一员 -没错
- that you are one of theirs. - That's right.
没错 我总能看出谁是黑人
Yeah, I always know when somebody's Black.
詹妮弗·比尔斯
Jennifer Beals,
索尔·哈德森 卡罗尔·钱宁
Slash, Carol Channing.
均为浅肤色黑人
从眼中就能看出来
It's in the eyes.
有时候是从肤色看出来的
And sometimes in the color of their skin.
等一下 如果黑人总能知道我是黑人
Wait. So if Black people will always know I'm Black,
为什么一个黑人小孩也那样叫我
then why did a Black kid call me that name?
-等一下 什么 -你说什么
- Wait, what? - Excuse me?
一个黑人小孩不知道你是黑人
A-A Black kid didn't know you were Black?
-不 那不可能 -拜托
- No, that can't be right. - Come on.
也许 也许他不是黑人
Maybe -- Maybe he wasn't Black.
他叫什么名字
What's his name?
拉瓦尔
Lavar.
拉
Lav--
拉瓦尔什么
Lavar what?
亲爱的
Honey.
-别问了 -有什么姓
- Let it go. - Is there any last name
能让拉瓦尔是个白人吗
that could make Lavar a white guy?
就在那时 我的父母意识到
And that's when my parents realized