-你可以拒绝他们 -我可以 是的
- You could refuse them. - I could... Yes.
你应该这么做
And you should.
布莱辛是个可恶的怪物
Blessing is a wretched creature.
沃德更可怕
And Ward is worse.
他很邪恶 或者说近乎
He's evil, or near it.
他是挺自以为是 但邪恶
He's full of himself, sure, but evil...
这个词很严重
That's a big word.
你得告诉我原因
You'll have to tell me why.
我不方便透露
I'm not at liberty to disclose.
那我觉得我没办法按你说的做
Well, then, I don't see I can do as you ask.
你在弗马纳为我们做了许多事 比利
You do a lot of work for us here in Fermanagh, Billy.
还有莫纳汉大教堂的那些大理石工程
And all that marble work up in Monaghan Cathedral.
这算是敲诈吗 吉米
Is this a class of blackmail, Jimmy?
我为你和凯瑟琳主婚
I married you and Catherine.
我主持了伊丽莎白的洗礼
I christened Elizabeth.
这些年来我们都是朋友
We've been friends down the years.
这是一个请求
It's a request.
我得给出理由
I have to say why.
是我要求的 他会明白
At my request. He'll understand.
真美啊
How beautiful.
谢谢你 温妮
Thank you, Winnie.
我给你带了东西 伊丽莎白
I have something for you, Elizabeth.
济慈
谢谢你 神父
Thank you, Father.
诗歌♥
这是给你的
This is for you.
珀西·弗兰奇先生
盛大的时尚之夜
今晚吗
Tonight?
我对珀西·弗兰奇不太感兴趣 先生
I don't care much for Percy French, sir.
你不喜欢珀西·弗兰奇
You don't like Percy French?
是的 先生
No, sir.
你不喜欢他什么
What don't you like about him?
愚蠢吧 我觉得
The silliness, I think.
-愚蠢 -是的 先生
- Silliness? - Yes, sir.
全世界都在唱他的歌♥
The whole world is singing his songs.
全世界都愚蠢吗
Is the whole world silly?
我不关心他做了什么
I don't care about what he does.
那你关心什么
What do you care about?
约翰·济慈
John Keats.
他唱的是什么
What does he sing about?
主要是死亡
Death, mostly...
还有夜莺
And nightingales.
也许他什么时候可以来市政厅
Well, maybe he'll come and warble for us
为我们鸣唱几曲
sometime in the Town Hall?
您知道他已经不在现世了 先生
You know he's dead and gone, sir.
死亡的彼岸没有鸟儿歌♥唱
Where no birds sing.
既然您能引用他的作品 为何还要假装不喜
If you can quote him, why pretend?
因为我熟知而且欣赏的是珀西·弗兰奇
Because I know and I like Percy French.
再说 今天是你的生日
And it's your birthday.
这毕竟算个聚会
It's an outing.
不要紧
No matter.
你的票我给别人就是
I'll find someone for your ticket.
贝丝小姐真是奇怪
Well, Miss Beth is a wonder,
话说回来那牛应该还好好的吧
and sure the cow is alive and well.
要是贝丝小姐兜里揣着你那根轭
Well, I wouldn't tangle with Miss Beth
我可不会和她纠缠
if she had that yoke in her pocket.
她会伤害你
She could do you harm,
或给你身上狠狠扎一通
or could puncture a body badly.
莫茜你呢
What about Mercy here?
你会被扎吗 莫茜
Could you be punctured, Mercy?
你们这帮蠢小子 没一个正经
Like a pack of silly wee boys, the whole lot of ye.
谢谢你 莫茜
Thank you, Mercy.
你将错失大好良机
You're missing a rare chance.
你确定不改变主意了吗
Are you sure you won't change your mind?
我还是不去了 先生
I'd rather not go, sir.
生日可不该这么冷冷清清地过
It seems a poor way to spend your birthday.
我很满足了 先生 真的
I'm content, sir, truly.
对这房♥子和田野 你也许是满足的
With this house and these fields, maybe,
但你一定对我有不满 那么
but not with me. So...
一吐你心中的不快吧
Say what it is that has you moody.
现在吗
Now?
是的 说给我听 让我们了结此事
Yes, let's hear it and be done with it.
我觉得您心里有数 先生
I think you know, sir.
我从没伤害过你 贝丝
I've never harmed you, Beth.
我宁死也不愿伤害你
I would rather die than harm you.
你明白的
You know that.
你真的要听吗
Do you really want to hear?
是的
Yes.
上次你来坐在我床边时
The last time you came in and sat on my bed,
你吻了我
kissed me,
却不是以父亲般慈爱的方式
not fatherly,
还说了一些我现在说不出口的话
said then something I'd rather not repeat.
导致我生气 到莫茜的床上去睡
That's when I got angry and went and slept in Mercy's bed...
天啊
Oh, God.
天啊
Oh, God.
这些话
What stuff...
这些话真适合迎接这阳光灿烂的一天
What stuff to launch a sunny day.
是您要听的 先生
You wanted to hear, sir.
那些事我一点也想不起来了
I remember nothing of that.
唐纳利主教之前在谈论谁
Who was Bishop Donnelly talking about?
-什么时候 -早些时候和你交谈时
- When? - To you, earlier.
他说有人是邪恶的
He called someone evil.
你听到了
You heard?
说的是我们的房♥客 利亚姆·沃德
It was our tenant, Liam Ward.
他邪恶在哪里
In what way evil?
他不愿说 我猜是忏悔室里的事吧
He refused to say. Confessional stuff, I suppose.
我不相信沃德会忏悔
I doubt if Ward confesses.
我从没见过他去做弥撒
I've never seen him at Mass.
也许是他的女人们去忏悔吧
Well, maybe his ladies confess,
如果和他勾搭在一起也能算淑女的话
if you could call his consorts ladies.
他这样算是邪恶吗 先生
Would that make him evil, sir?
他的原话是「近乎邪恶」
His exact words were "Near evil".
我想大多数人类都是邪恶的 或多或少吧
I suppose most humans are, more or less...
这样那样吧
this way or that.
先有愚蠢 才有邪恶
There's foolishness and then there's evil.
我们下次再聊
We'll talk again.
我会赎罪 贝丝
I'll make amends, Beth.
我真的会
Really, I will.
你在里面吗 小姐
Are you there, Miss?
我在 莫茜
I am, Mercy. Yes.
你要我擦厨房♥
Would you like me to scrub out the kitchen
还是直接搅黄油呢
or start straight in to churn?
搅黄油吧 莫茜 我五分钟就下楼
The churning, Mercy. I'll be down in five minutes.
你躲在这里做什么
What are you doing lurking?
你想怎么样
What do you want?
你饿了吗 那就去宅子里
You're hungry? Well, then, go down to the house, so,
他们会给你做吃的
and they'll give you food.
吃完就走人 别在院子里装病
And then move on. No malingering in the yard.
要住宿费
Money for lodgings?
你也许有点蠢 麦戈内尔
Dumb you might be, McGonnell,
但却是个狡猾的乞丐
but you're an artful class of a beggar.
搅黄油 搅黄油 搅啊搅
Come butter, come butter, butter come,
每一块都大如臀
every lump as big as my bum.
搅啊搅
Come.
天啊 谢谢你 小姐
Oh, God. Thanks, Miss.
那是利亚姆·沃德的马车
That's Liam Ward's dray.
他是我见过最夺人心魄的人
He is the most breathtaking creature I've ever laid eyes on.
但他们大多数还是坏胚子
Still, they're a bad lot, mostly.
谁
Who are?
男人
Men.
怎么说 莫茜
In what sense, Mercy?