晚上好 这是CBS晚间新闻 丹·拉瑟为您播报
This is the CBS Evening News, Dan Rather reporting.
今天报道的是一个离奇而可怕的事件
A bizarre and terrifying story today.
芝加哥地区现已有七人死亡…
Seven persons are now dead in the Chicago area…
…他们吃了掺了毒的泰诺胶囊
…after they took Tylenol capsules that had been laced with poison.
警方说根据政♥府♥官员描述 向胶囊掺毒的
Police say the capsules were laced by someone officials describe
是一个非常老练且心怀恶意的人
as a very sophisticated, malicious person.
这是一桩可怕的罪行 把一种能帮助病人的产品
It was just such a terrible crime, to take a product that helps someone
变成杀人凶器
and turn it into a weapon.
那家伙是个疯子 宝拉是被谋杀的
The guy's a maniac. I mean, Paula was murdered.
她就是被谋杀的
She was just murdered.
这是一桩完美的犯罪
This is the perfect crime.
他们都是些无辜的人 过着平常的生活
They're innocent people going through their normal daily lives,
却无缘无故被毒死
were poisoned to death for no reason.
有一些真实的理由让我们怀疑
There are real reasons to doubt the narrative
大众已经接受了42年的说法
that we've all accepted for 42 years.
我再说一遍 对我们产品的篡改及投毒
The tampering with and the poisoning of the product did not,
并不是在我们工厂里发生的
I repeat, did not take place in our plant.
我们为什么不深挖 并向强生公♥司♥提出更多的问题?
Why are we not digging and asking Johnson & Johnson more questions?
调查人员对此案讳莫如深 令我非常不解
It's baffling to me how secretive the investigators have been.
他们找错人了 而且绝对能保证
They're barking up the wrong tree, and it absolutely guarantees
他们永远都破不了泰诺杀人案
that they will never solve the Tylenol homicides.
真凶正逍遥法外
There's somebody out there.
必须追循证据 不管证据会把你带去哪里
You have to follow the evidence wherever the evidence takes you.
《迷离悬案:止痛药谋杀事件》
在我31年的职业生涯中 接过无数通求救电♥话♥
I've been on thousands of calls in a 31-year career,
其中一些让人心情沉重 无法忘怀
but there are some that just come back like a ton of bricks.
1982年9月29日 就在中午12点前
September 29th, 1982, just prior to twelve o'clock noon,
电♥话♥铃响了 他们说 “三区 你们有个代码一”
the tones went off, and they announced, "District three, you have a code one,"
那是指呼叫救护车 请求医疗协助
which was a call for an ambulance, a medical assist.
那位先生叫亚当·杰纳斯 27岁
The gentleman's name was Adam Janus. He was 27 years old.
他那天感觉不太舒服
He was not quite feeling well that particular day.
他跟他妻子说: “我想我今天得请假了”
And he told his wife, he said, "I think I'm going to take the day off."
然后他就晕倒了
And then he collapsed.
他倒下了
He was down.
我们想尽了办法救他都没有用
No matter what we tried, nothing worked.
他像公牛一样强壮 27岁 身体健康 除了感冒以外没有大病
Built like a bull, 27 years old, healthy, except for a cold.
我们没能把他救回来
We lost him.
我接到了一通电♥话♥
I got a phone call.
他们说我弟弟亚当心脏病发了
They said my brother Adam got a heart attack.
我说:“你胡说什么?他身体很健康”
I says, "What are you talking about? He's a very healthy person."
他们说:“他死了
They said, "He's dead."
我们已经尽力了”
"And we can do nothing to him."
我差点晕了过去 我当时…
I almost passed out. I was… I was…
我很震惊
I was shock.
我们的家人聚在了医院里
The family gathers at the hospital.
大家都很困惑 都在互相询问
Everyone is confused, and they're all questioning each other.
亚当有没有什么心脏病?
Did Adam have some kind of heart condition?
他有长♥期♥服用的药吗?
Was he on any kind of medication?
他妻子说没有 亚当的身体没有任何问题
And his wife said no, there was nothing wrong with Adam.
亚当去世那天
The same day that Adam passed away,
我的祖父母让所有人去亚当家哀悼
my grandparents, they asked everyone to gather at Adam's house to grieve.
我叔叔斯坦利和他妻子特蕾莎 不想当天去
My uncle Stanley and his wife Teresa did not want to.
他们说第二天才去
They said they'll come and visit the next day,
可我奶奶很坚持
but my grandma was very adamant.
她说:“你们必须跟家人在一起”
And she said, "Well, you have to be with your family."
我弟弟斯坦利和特蕾莎 他们应该很难过
My brother Stanley and Teresa, I guess they were depressed.
也许他们觉得头疼 我不清楚
Maybe they had a headache. I don't know.
当时桌子上有一瓶泰诺
There was, uh, Tylenol sitting on top of the table.
他们吃了瓶子里的药
And they took that pills.
我们正坐在沙发上
We were sitting on the couch.
斯坦利站起来
Stanley, he stand up,
说了几句话 然后就倒下了
he said a couple words, and then he fell down.
他口吐白沫 开始发抖
His mouth, white foam was coming out and he start, you know, shaking.
我看着他 看到他在翻白眼
I was looking at him, and I see his eyes are turning white.
就在6点前 铃♥声♥又响起了
Just before six o'clock, the tones went off again.
旧事重演 代码一
And it was déjà vu. Code one.
跟之前倒下的那个人同一个地址
It was the same exact address for the man down.
接线员说:“这不可能 他死了”
And the guys looked at me, "It's impossible. He's dead."
我一进他们家门
When I got into the house,
就看到我所认识的经验最丰富的 一位急救员抬起了头
one of the most seasoned paramedics I knew looked up,
他脸上露出惊恐的表情
and I could see fear in his face.
他说:“情况跟今天早上一样 我们救不了他”
He said, "This is the same thing as this morning. We're losing this guy."
一个年轻的女人向我走来
A young woman came up to me,
她抓着我的胳膊尖叫:“斯坦利!”
and she was holding on to my arm, and she was screaming, "Stanley! Stanley!"
那是他妻子 她叫特蕾莎
This was his wife. Her name was Teresa.
突然间 她发出痛苦的呻♥吟♥ 倒在了我旁边
And suddenly, she let out a groan and collapsed right next to me.
我跪下把她翻过来 刚让她翻了身
And I knelt down and I turned her over and as soon as I did,
我就看向她的眼睛 她目光固定 瞳孔散大 目光呆滞
I looked into her eyes, and they were fixed. Her pupils were fixed and dilated.
她的呼吸又急又浅
Her breathing was rapid and shallow,
就跟早上那个哥哥和她丈夫一样
the same as the brother earlier and the same as her husband.
我看着他们说 “他们不可能全是心脏病发作
I looked at the guys. I said, "These are not all heart attacks."
肯定是什么导致的”
"Something's killing 'em."
同一个家庭 三个受害者
Three people, all in one family.
我不知道我们面对的是什么情况 所以我想到了海伦·詹森
I don't know what we're dealing with, so I thought of Helen Jensen.
海伦·詹森是我们卫♥生♥部♥的护士长
Helen Jensen was our health department chief nurse.
两个年轻警官把我带到了他们家里
Two young officers took me out to the house.
我想看看冰箱里有什么可疑物品
I wanted to see if there was anything suspicious in the refrigerator
也许被他们吃了 也许他们吃了有毒的东西
that maybe somebody had eaten, that they had eaten something toxic.
但没有可疑的东西
There was nothing.
我走进浴室
I went into the bathroom,
找到了一个加强泰诺的瓶子
and I found this bottle of extra-strength Tylenol
瓶子是新的
which was brand new.
我把里面的药倒了出来 数了数
And I laid it out and counted it.
少了六颗胶囊 有三个受害者
There were six capsules missing, and there are three victims.
我说:“肯定是因为吃了泰诺”
I said, "It has to be Tylenol."
我们出勤归队时 自然就会跟队里讨论
Naturally, when we come back from call, we discussed what had happened.
我跟一个朋友说 “菲尔 我们今天遇到了很离奇的事”
So I told a friend of mine, "Phil, we had a really unusual day."
我说:“这些人在这一天 只有一个共同点
I said, "The only thing these people had in common for the day
他们都吃了泰诺”
is they all took a Tylenol."
然后他…他沉着声说:“什么?”
And he… his voice, he… he said, "What?"
我说:“他们都吃了泰诺” 他说:“查克
I said, "They all took a Tylenol." He said, "Chuck."
埃尔克格罗夫有一位凯勒曼女士
"A lady from Elk Grove, her name is Kellerman,
她女儿今天早上没了 12岁”
she lost her little girl this morning, 12 years old."
那女孩得了感冒
She had a cold.
她想待在家里 不去上学 她觉得不舒服
She wanted to stay home from school that day. She didn't feel well.
她爸妈说:“好吧 给 吃两颗泰诺” 她把药吃了
Her mom and dad said, "Okay, here, take a couple Tylenol," which she did.
后来他们听到她摔倒了
And they heard her collapse in the bathroom.
他们进了浴室 打了急救电♥话♥
They got into the bathroom. They called the paramedics.
不管他们做什么 都已经回天乏力了
And, uh, no matter what they did, she was going down.
一个健康的小女孩 她只是吃了泰诺
Healthy little girl, the only thing she did was take Tylenol.
一个12岁的女孩怎么就猝死了?
How can you lose a 12-year-old girl?
我说:“我不清楚情况 但那个药肯定有问题
I said, "I don't know if there's something wrong with that stuff,
最好让人检查一下 我要给医院打电♥话♥
"but somebody better check. I'm gonna call the hospital."
我记得很清楚 就像是昨天发生的事
I remember it as if it happened yesterday.
我马上就知道发生了可怕的事
I knew immediately there's something horrible happening
而我有义务尝试解释其原因
that I'm, uh, obligated to try to explain.
一个小姑娘和两兄弟死了
A young girl and two brothers dead.
特蕾莎脑死亡
Teresa was brain-dead.
急救人员认为 可能是因为他们服用的泰诺
And the paramedics thought maybe it was the Tylenol.
我记得自己在想 不可能是因为服用泰诺过量导致的
I remember thinking it can't be Tylenol overdose
因为那得吃很多颗药
because you have to take tons of pills,
并且要两三天才会死亡
and it takes two, three days before you die.
而这些人是在短时间内猝死的
And these people died so quickly.
那些胶囊里到底有什么?
So, what's in this pill?
我在重症监护病房♥接受训练时 照顾过中毒的病人
I had taken care of patients with poisons when I was in training in ICU,
比如砷、铅、肉毒素中毒等
uh, like arsenic, lead, botulism, and that kind of thing,
但那些情况都有一些症状
but they all have symptoms
比如恶心、呕吐 或是神经方面的症状
like nausea, vomiting, or some neurologic problems.
可这四个病例没有任何症状
But these cases, they had no symptoms.
我在办公室里来回走动 翻阅药理学书籍
I was pacing in the room, looking through the pharmacologic books,
那时我就想到了氰化物中毒