我一直想演电影
I always wanted to be in the movies.
我之前差点当了演员
I was almost a star.
就差一点
Almost.
然后发生了一件事 打碎了我的梦想
Then something happened that took my dream away.
洛杉矶 1942年
我挺喜欢终极悍将的 这部电影很浪漫
I liked standing, I thought it was romantic.
如果你觉得我会光顾着和小瘪三们打斗
If you think I was gonna let some guy run off with my girl
让我的女孩被别人拐走的话 你就大错特错了
while I fight a bunch of crabs, you must be dizzy.
每个女孩都想要一个
Well, every gal wants a guy that's gonna
愿意为她出生入死的男人 很浪漫
sacrifice himself for her, it's romantic.
这就是问题所在
You see, that's the problem.
博加特以前演的都是硬汉 这次却演了个傻瓜
Bogart used to play the tough guy, now he just plays a sap.
你是我的硬汉
Well, you're my tough guy.
你来这里干什么
Hey, what're you doing in here?
我跟你说话呢
I'm talking to you.
赶紧滚蛋 滚 滚
Get outta here, go on, go.
人们要摆正自己的位置
People gotta learn their place.
别看过去 不过我好像看到
Hey, don't look now, but I think I see Mona
莫娜莱恩正坐在那边的一个座位上喝奶昔
Lane sitting over there in a booth drinking a milkshake.
-在哪 -我说了别看
- Where? - I said don't look.
我不想你让我尴尬
I don't want you to embarrass me.
而且好像吉米斯丹斯坐在她对面
And I think I see Jimmy Stance over there with her.
有消息说他们俩在一起了
I've read that those two are an item.
现在看来是真的
I guess it's true.
电影明星也是人嘛
Movie stars are people just like us, they've gotta
他们还不是跟我一样一次只能穿一条裤腿
put their pants on one leg at a time, just like me.
嘿 我叫你不要进来了 小子
Hey, I told you to get outta here, boy.
别开枪
Don't shoot.
在月光咖啡馆
That's how things went down
莫娜·莱恩被一群黑人绑♥架♥的那天晚上
at the Moonlight Cafe,
故事就是这么展开的
the night Mona Lane got kidnapped by a gang of Negros.
或者至少报纸上是这么说的
Or at least that's how the newspapers told it.
但我们还有不少时间再回头聊这个
But we got plenty of time to get to that.
这个故事不仅是关于她 也是关于我的
This story is as much about me, as it is about her.
我还记得小时候去看电影
As a kid, I could still remember goin' to the pictures,
观看大屏幕上的黑帮和牛仔
watchin' gangsters and cowboys on the big screen.
我也想在幕布上面 比所有人都大
I wanted to be up there, bigger than everyone.
比生命更大 站在世界之巅
Bigger than life, on top of the world.
我一直喜欢扮演别人
I always liked pretending to be other people.
这就是我 阿奇·格拉斯
That's me, Archie Glass.
在我离开乔治亚州的几个月后
Just a few months from hoboing my way from Georgia.
我来到了中♥央♥大道
It wasn't long before I found myself on Central Av.
这里是洛杉矶黑人生活的中心
The center of Negro life in Los Angeles.
那晚我爱上了洛杉矶
I fell in love with Los Angeles that night.
我开始在南洛杉矶最热门的地方 邓巴俱乐部
I started busing tables, then worked my way up to doorman at
收拾餐桌 兼任门卫
the Dun Bar Club, which was the hottest spot in South LA.
每晚都像在派对上
Every night was like a party.
你不知道下一刻谁会走进来
You never knew who would walk in.
勒罗伊·塔克是个康普顿市的黑人
Leroy Tucker was a black man from Compton,
他妈妈有印第安血统
who had Indian in him from his momma's side.
这足以让他看起来像个墨西哥人
It was enough for him to pass as Mexican,
就可以在西部片里饰演个烧杀掳掠的强盗
and get work as an outlaw bandit in westerns.
纳丁·洛马克斯演过很多戏
Big Nadine Lomax worked a lot.
每当剧组需要人扮演女佣时
Whenever the studios needed someone to play a maid,
他们都会叫来纳丁
they called Nadine.
她在很多电影里扮演过女仆
She played maids in so many pictures,
她还因此拿了奥斯卡奖
they gave her an Oscar for it.
这些人
These people?
他们是好莱坞的小透明
No one cared about them in Hollywood.
他们过气了 或者一直都在跑龙套
They were overlooked, or they was just a butt of jokes.
但在中♥央♥大街 他们被当作大明星一样对待
But down on Central Av, they were treated like stars.
他们做的每一个动作都风度翩翩
There was magic in every gesture they made.
每一个微笑都是自♥由♥之窗
Every smile was a window into a new kind of freedom.
他们之中咖位最大的呢
And the biggest of them all?
恩尼斯·马修斯
Ennis Matthews.
他们叫他棕色小丑
They called him the brown clown, he had a series of
他演了一系列美国最受欢迎的黑人小丑短片
short films where he played America's favorite Negro clown.
恩尼斯总是穿着利落的衣服
Ennis always dressed sharp,
还抽着古巴的高档雪茄
and smoked these fancy cigars from Cuba.
我很崇拜他
I looked up to him.
我想成为他这样的人
I wanted to be just like him.
你叫什么名字 小子
What's your name, kid?
阿奇
Archie.
阿奇·格拉斯
Archie Glass.
阿奇·格拉斯
Well, Archie Glass.
你看起来不像个
You don't look like a man
甘心当一辈子门卫的男人
who wants to be a doorman all his life.
我想成为你这样的人
I wanna be like you.
我也想演电影
I wanna be in the pictures.
如果你需要的话 我有个小建议可以告诉你
I got a hot tip for you, if you want it.
当然 我是说
Sure, I mean...
需要
Yes.
去演员选派部
Go down to Central Casting.
他们新开了一间黑人选角部门
They got a new Negro office open.
告诉他们是我推荐你来的
Tell 'em I sent you.
他们想找有色人种演电影
They're lookin' to put colored folks in movies.
谢谢 谢谢
Thank you, thank you.
我只需要一个机会 先生
I just need one break, mister.
一次做大事的机会
One chance to do something big in this world.
如果你给我这个机会 我向你保证
If you give me that chance, I promise you,
我向你保证 你不会后悔的
I promise you, you won't be sorry.
等等
Wait.
那是枪吗
Is that a gun?
你为什么拿枪指着我
Why are you pointing a gun at me?
砰 砰 砰
Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang!
看看我 妈 我成功了
Look at me, Ma, I made it!
站在世界之巅
Top of the world!
你要继续对着镜子里扮演黑帮
Are you going to keep playing gangster in that mirror?
还是过来给我暖床
Or are you gonna come over here and keep me warm?
我第一次见到桑德拉
The first time I saw Sandra,
是在邓巴酒店外面
was standin' outside the Dun Bar Hotel.
她就像一只在街上蹦蹦跳跳的孔雀
She was like a peacock struttin' down the street.
她每周在狐步舞咖啡馆唱四个晚上的歌♥
She sang four nights a week at the Foxtrot Cafe.
我不知道哪一个更甜
I'm not sure what was sweeter.
是她在舞台上的歌♥声
Her voice on stage...
还是她在床上的吻
Or her kisses in bed.
你太棒了 宝贝
That was real fine, baby.
你真的很会取悦男人
You sure know how to make a fella feel good.
小嘴儿甜的跟蜜似的
You're a good sweet talker.
我是个好演员
I'm a good actor.
虽然我现在只是个门卫 但是
I mean, I'm a doorman right now, but,
我很快就会参演电影
I'm gonna be in the pictures soon.
真不敢相信我居然和一个演员上♥床♥了
I can't believe I hopped in bed with an actor!
我妈妈肯定要揍我一顿了
My mama would whoop me good!
当演员有什么不好
What's wrong with being an actor?
没什么
Nothin'!
如果你是克拉克·盖博或贝蒂·戴维斯
If you're Clark Gable or Betty Davis.
你可以演海盗或公主 甚至牛仔
Then you could be a pirate or a princess, or even a cowboy.
去拯救世界
That come and save the day.
但是 如果你是黑人
But, if you are black,
电影就像现实生活一样
the movies is just like real life.
你只能演个女佣或是某个跑龙套的下等人
You're just the maid or somebody's go-fetch boy.
我知道目前黑人能接的角色不多
I know there ain't a lot of work for a Negro man,
但这终有一天会改变的
but that's gonna change and when it does,
我想成为第一个吃螃蟹的人
I wanna be the first.
你会等很久的
You're gonna be waiting a long time for that.
不会很久的
Not for too long.
我在胜利制片厂有试镜了
I got me an audition at Victory Studio.
他们在找黑人演员
They're lookin' for Negro actors.
很快 你就会在里卡尼看到我的名字
Soon, you're gonna see my name at the Ricaknie.
阿奇·格拉斯 美国有史以来最伟大的演员
电影精选列表