当你试图想出一个原创的创意时
When you're trying to come up with an original idea,
脑袋空空的情况占多数
more often than not, you have nothing.
你有一张白纸
You have a blank sheet of paper.
想知道点子从何而来 这是很棘手的
It's tricky to try to figure out where an idea comes from.
我不知道要如何找寻灵感
I have no idea how to find inspiration.
我时常尝试着追寻灵感
It's something I think I'm constantly trying to chase and figure out.
我认为你应该找对方法
I think you can put yourself in the right place.
多阅读 看电影 与朋友交谈
Reading a lot, seeing films, talking to friends.
嘿 -你好吗
Hey. - How are you?
这些事情会对你有所启发
All those things will inspire,
但并不能保证你得到灵感
but they don't guarantee that they will lead to inspiration.
构思一部电影最主要的是
The big part of trying to come up with a film is to look for
寻找生活中曾经或仍在面对的难关
things in your life that were hard, or are hard,
或者是那些很纠结的事情
or that you're struggling with.
我是丹·斯坎隆 我是一名导演
I'm Dan Scanlon and I'm a director.
我在密歇根长大
I grew up in Michigan,
我的家乡是离底特律不远的小城克劳森
in a small-ish town called Clawson, near Detroit.
我妈妈 我哥哥和我有着很好很有趣的亲情
My mom and my brother and I, we had a really great, fun relationship.
家里常常欢声笑语不断
We were always laughing as a family.
我小时候很喜欢画画
When I was a kid, I was drawing all the time.
我会画名人的夸张漫画
I'd do caricatures of famous people
再寄给他们本人
and then send it to them.
我妈妈就相当于我的经纪人
And my mom was like a promoter for me.
我就像个星妈一样 我打电♥话♥给几家本地报纸
I was like his stage mother. I called the different local papers.
联♥系♥本地电视台
I contacted local TV stations
据7岁的丹尼尔·斯坎隆的妈妈说 他“是一个少言寡语的人”
他也是个很有艺术才华的男孩
他们就会过来拍摄他
and they came out and filmed him.
我以为长大之后就不画了
I thought maybe it was a phase he'd grow out of
但他从来没有放下画笔
but he never did.
他从一开始就一直一直热爱着绘画
He always, always loved drawing from the very beginning.
还有动物
And Animal.
丹应该不算是普通小孩
Dan was not a typical kid, probably.
虽然肯定还有其他像他一样的小孩
I mean, I'm sure there's other kids like him.
我常常运动 玩赛车之类的
I was playing sports and liked racecars and things like that.
而丹玩木偶
And Dan was playing with puppets.
挺厉害的 -嗯 都挺厉害
That's pretty cool. -Yeah. They were all...
还有绘画 美术之类的
And of course drawing, art stuff.
他一直都在搞些创意性的事情
And then he was always doing creative things,
拍电影什么的
making movies and stuff.
这很有趣 特别是密歇根的冬天
It was a fun thing to do, especially in the winter
没什么其他事情可以做
in Michigan, when there's not much to do.
那么你为什么不尝尝这个派呢
Well, then why don't you have some pie?
闪闪 你觉得今天的节目怎么样
Sparky. What did you think of the show today?
他显然是很有才华的 但我不知道他这么有才华
He had talent, clearly. But I had no idea the kind of scale.
天哪 谢谢
Golly, thanks.
我哥哥是我人生中最忠实的支持者
My brother was the number one champion of everything I did.
他去上大学的时候 把我的画贴在他房♥间的墙上
He put drawings I did up on his wall when he went to college.
他为我感到十分骄傲
He was so proud of me.
我2001年以故事板画师的身份加入皮克斯
I started at Pixar in 2001 as a Story Artist.
后来得到了执导《怪兽大学》的绝佳机会
And then got an amazing opportunity to direct Monsters University.
这部电影讲述了
The film is about moments in your life
你非常努力地想要在热爱的事物上有所成功
when you try so hard to succeed in something that you love
但还是失败了 接下来该怎么办
and then, you fail at it. Where do you go from there?
这是非常好的电影题材
That was a great thing to make a movie about.
不过这并不是我的故事
But it wasn't my personal story.
《怪兽大学》完成后
After Monsters University was finished,
公♥司♥问我 你想不想原创一个故事
Pixar said, "Would you like to try to come up with your own idea?"
这次我希望讲述一个私人一些的故事
And I wanted to do something personal this time,
所以很难想出
and so it's tough to think
我人生中什么可以做成一部人们喜闻乐见的电影
what in my life could be a movie that people would wanna see?
工作室有一个部门叫发展部
There's a department at the studio called Development,
这个部门只有四个努力开♥发♥一部电影的人
and it's basically four people who are trying to develop a movie.
那里有如此丰富的资源
You have all these amazing resources.
有着能够帮助你将一个模糊的创意雏型
Everything that could possibly help you further develop and get inspired
扩展完善的一切
by an inkling of an idea you have.
问题是刚开始的时候
The problem is when you get there,
常常是连创意雏型都没有的
you don't always have an inkling of an idea at all.
你可能什么想法都没有 我什么都想不到
You might have literally nothing. I had nothing.
要想到一个点子 有点像坠入爱河
Trying to come up with an idea is a little like falling in love.
无论你多么期待
No matter how much you want it to happen,
灵感到来与否真的不是你能控制的
there's really very little you can do to make sure it happens.
我想了一大堆糟糕的主意
I had a bunch of ideas for things that are mainly terrible,
然后发给我的电影制♥作♥搭档科里
and I'd pitch those to Kori, my filmmaking partner.
这个题材做烹饪节目很有意思
"Interesting idea for a cooking show.
但是电影就不好说了
"Don't know if it's a movie."
为了想出真诚且情感丰富的创意
To come up with an idea that has some honesty to it and is emotional,
你首先就要非常敏感
you have to be really vulnerable.
作为电影制♥作♥人 你必须要
As a filmmaker, you have to be open
敢于去想不舒服的事情
to thinking about things that are uncomfortable,
或者害怕的事情 或者那些因为真实
or things you're scared of, you don't wanna think about
而不愿意去想的事情
because they're true and they're real.
于是我从我自己的生活入手
And so I just started thinking about my own life
思考我的定位和我的价值
and who I am and what I have to offer.
我是个儿子
I'm a son.
我是丈夫
I'm a husband.
我是弟弟 艺术家
I'm a brother, an artist.
然后自问 拥有这些身份时我在害怕什么
And then, asking myself questions about what are my fears about those things?
作为弟弟 是什么顾虑让我夜不能寐
What keeps me up at night about being a brother?
作为丈夫 我担心自己在哪些方面失败
What do I worry I'm failing at being a husband?
这都是非常私人的东西
And it's incredibly personal stuff,
很难直面这些吓人的问题
and it's hard to get to those really scary questions.
我一直在想我和哥哥 妈妈的亲情
I kept circling around to my relationship with my brother and my mom.
还有我未曾与爸爸共享过的亲情
And also my relationship or lack of one with my dad.
我把那些小纸片贴在板上 我们要离开时
I would put that stuff up on the board, and as we were leaving,
发展部有人说 要不要我们帮你把这块板盖起来
someone in Development said, "Do you want us to put a blanket over this board
这样别人进来时就不会看见这些
"so that people won't come in and see this?"
我想 我们的目标是捋清我这些私人事物
And I thought, you know, we're here to work out my personal stuff.
这些碎片可能会成为一部电影 所以还是就这么放着吧
This might be a movie someday. So, no. It's fine. We can keep it out.
我走了之后
And then as I left,
我记得我又回去把其中两张纸片翻到了背面
I remember walking back and just turning two cards over.
因为那两张我确实不太想让别人看见
Like, "But not these two. I don't want anyone seeing that."
然后我意识到 这就是你最害怕的事情
And then, I thought, "That's the thing you're terrified of.
这就是你的电影素材
"That's your movie."
我都不知道这幅画还在 我都没见过
I didn't realize this picture still existed. I've never seen this.
你那个时候只有几个月大
You were just a couple of months old.
当丹告诉我他要制♥作♥一部关于我们生活的电影
When Dan told me that he was doing a film about our lives,
我有点感动
it was kind of emotional.
他希望我找出我手头上所有他爸爸的照片
He wanted me to look up every picture that I had of his dad
并且向我打听他是什么样的人
and he asked me what he was like and all that.
我爸爸在我一岁的时候离世了
My dad died when I was a year old.
那时我哥哥三岁 所以我们对他没有了解也没有记忆
My brother was three, so we never knew him and have no memory of him.
这是我人生中和我的故事中非常重大的一部分
It's certainly a pretty big part of my life and part of my story.
微妙的是 我发现我对这件事没有什么感觉
The tricky thing about it is I realized I don't have a lot of feelings about it.
我并不记得他 所以我不知道我失去了什么
I don't remember him, so I don't know what I lost.
我是个非常非常幸运的人
I'm a very, very lucky person.
我生命中没有发生过很多糟糕的事情
I haven't had a lot of terrible things happen in my life.
我这么跟我妈妈说 她说你父亲去世了
And I told my mom that and she said, "Your father died."
我说 是 但我那个时候才一岁
And I said, "Yeah, but when I was a year old.
我根本不记得他
"I don't remember him at all."
她说 这才是最糟糕的
She said, "That's why it's terrible."
她说 糟糕的就是你不记得他
She said, "It's terrible because you don't remember him."
我从人们的谈论中了解他
I learned about him from people talking about him.
从各种照片中了解他
I learned about him from pictures that are around.
我觉得我还是知道我父亲是什么样的人的
So, I think I have an idea of who my father is.
他这张照片很有70年代的感觉
He just seemed like 1970s.
络腮胡 超短裤和白色T恤
A beard and shorty-shorts and a white T-shirt.
这些间接的小碎片
So those indirect little pieces
也影响了我对自己生活方式的思考
have also influenced just how I think I should live my life.
当我16岁 我哥哥18岁左右时
When I was 16 and my brother was around 18,
我的姑姑和姑父寄来了一张磁带
my aunt and uncle sent us an audio tape.