我很不习惯把自己的事情拿出来说
I'm not used to being that open about myself.
但我觉得要做好故事
But I think most good stories
就应该深刻剖析那些藏在自己内心深处 最脆弱的事实
are digging into some vulnerable truth inside yourself.
我已经出柜33年了 但一直还是有一点难以启齿
I've been out of the closet for 33 years and it's still hard to talk about.
我把自己的这部分拿出来 心想“我不能那样”
You take that part of yourself and go, "Oh, well, I can't be that."
然后把它放在这儿 我就继续在这条路上走下去
I'll put it over here. I'm gonna keep going this route.
但你放在这儿的那玩意儿还是会一直牵绊着我
And then finally, that little thing that you put over here is always there,
你知道的 长此以往 挥之不去
and it's always lingering, you know, and it's going,
“嘿 那我呢”“没人考虑我的感受吗”
"Hey. What about me? "What about my feelings?"
这应该就是我回过头来做关于出柜的故事的原因
That's probably why I come back to the coming out stories.
就是想安抚一下我内心的这个小东西
It's just to shut that little thing up.
让它知道我听见了它的声音 “一切都会好起来的”
Let him know he's heard, you know. "It's okay. It's gonna be okay."
上世纪八十年代 我在加拿大的一个小镇长大
I grew up in the '80s in a small town up in Canada.
那里距离底特律大概只有一个小时的距离
It's about an hour from Detroit.
那就是一个没有名气的小城
It's a small town in the middle of nowhere.
我来自一个大家庭 所以家里总是有很多小孩跑来跑去
We came from a big family, so there's many children running around the house.
嘿 老兄 -嘿 兄弟
Hey, buddy. - Hey, buddy.
我是不打冰球的
I didn't play hockey.
我觉得我应该是全加拿大唯一一个不打冰球的加拿大人
I think I was one Canadian in Canada who didn't play hockey.
他以前看了很多漫画书 也经常把自己锁在房♥间里
He read a lot of comic books and locked himself up in his room.
自己一个人涂涂画画 看看书
He was always sketching, doodling and reading.
我妈以前总是叫我出门去玩一玩
My mom used to yell at me to go outside and play,
因为我总是闷在家里画个不停
'cause I'd just be inside, always drawing.
所以 首先 你成了那个小镇的怪人
So, first of all, you're a nerd in a small town
然后 你又成为了那个小镇的同性恋怪人 这不太好
but then you're a gay nerd in a small town, which is bad.
所以你竭尽所能想要表现得很直 却惨败收场
So, you're trying to be as straight as you can, failing miserably.
我周围没有任何东西向我传递 同性恋是正常的这个信♥号♥♥
There's nothing around to tell me it was okay to be gay.
想来也是 那可是上世纪80年代啊
Of course this was in the '80s.
那时同性恋群体在查塔姆还并不多见
The gay community wasn't well known in Chatham.
这应该是斯蒂文在这一带生活的难处
That might've been the hard part for Steve in the local area.
那时候时代不一样 -是啊
It was different times. - Yeah.
那时候没有什么形象能让我一看到就感觉到“那就是我”
There was no imagery I could look at and go, "Oh, me."
最接近的应该就是扮女装的兔八哥了吧
Closest thing I'd seen was Bugs Bunny in drag.
那是我成长过程中在加拿大看到过和我最像的形象
That's the closest thing I ever saw in Canada growing up.
所以我想给曾经的我讲讲故事
So, I wanted to tell stories for that kid that I was.
我是火花短片《出柜》的导演
I was the director of the short Spark film, Out.
《出柜》讲的是一个年轻人格雷格和他的男友曼纽尔的故事
Out is about a young man, Greg, and his boyfriend Manuel,
他们将要从小镇离开 一起去大城市生活
about to leave a small town they're in and move to the big city to be together.
但问题是 他并没有向父母出柜
Trouble is that he's not out to his parents.
嘿 -我做了你最爱的披萨炖锅菜
Hey. - I made your favorite. Pizza casserole.
在搬家那天 他父母决定突然拜访 给他一个惊喜
His parents decided to show up on moving day and surprise him.
爸爸
Dad?
你♥爸♥载我过来帮你收拾打包行李
Your dad drove me down to help you finish packing.
那我们该从哪儿开始呢
So, where should I start?
在故事里 有源自我自己的生活片段
In the story, there are pieces from my own life.
有我父母的影子 也有一些来自我的经历
There's some of my mom and dad in there. There's some of me.
但有的时候 我会把某些特质混合 创造出我不认识的人
But then, I mix it all up and there's nobody I know in there.
在我最开始创作人物的时候 这个父亲是很无言的
When I first wrote these characters, the dad didn't say much.
他不大清楚他在想什么
He didn't know what he was thinking.
而母亲这个角色情感比较丰富
The mom was very effusive.
随着我了解的同性恋者向家里出柜的故事越来越过
The more gay men that I've talked to about their coming out stories,
我愈发觉得这样家庭中家长的典型形象变得真实
the more these archetypes of who these parents are became truer.
然后你便能感受到这个故事的普遍性
And you quickly realize how universal the story is.
总有一些事情是你想对你的亲人说 却难以启齿的
There's things you want to say to your family but don't know how.
《侏罗纪公园》上映那时候起我接触到了动画领域
As a kid, I got into animation around the time of Jurassic Park.
我当时感觉
And I was like,
“我在看什么 这真的是一只恐龙诶 我的天哪”
"What am I looking at? That's a real dinosaur. Oh, my God."
我一直在冒冷汗 因为那实在太绝了
I was sweating 'cause it was so awesome.
那真的是最绝妙的东西了 我当时就说“我也想做那个”
It was the most amazing thing. I said, "I wanna do that."
我从1997年开始就在皮克斯工作了
I started working at Pixar back in '97.
那时候公♥司♥在做《玩具总动员2》
And that was for Toy Story 2.
然后我成了《超人总动员》的动画主管
And I ended up supervising animation on Incredibles,
同样也参与了《机器人总动员》的制♥作♥
and then going onto WALL-E.
后来又做了《勇敢传说》
And then onto Brave.
《出柜》是皮克斯火花短片中的一部
Out was created as part of the SparkShorts program at Pixar.
这是在大框架里相对小巧的作品
It's a smaller production within the larger framework.
做这个项目是为了倾听工作室里不一样的声音
It was designed to find newer voices within the studio
并向世界传播一些不一样的故事
and get some different stories out into the world.
作为一名皮克斯的动画师
Being an animator at Pixar,
我一直觉得我很幸运能帮别人说出他们的故事
I felt fortunate in helping other people tell their stories.
但这次我有机会说出我自己的故事了
But this is my chance to tell my story,
或者说是让我自己成为屏幕上的一个角色
or put a character like myself up onto the screen.
我真希望能过你的生活 我希望我是一条狗
I wish I had your life. I wish I was a dog.
在故事里 主角格雷格
In the story, the main character, Greg,
不愿意向家人出柜 只希望自己成为一条狗
rather than coming out, he just wishes he was a dog.
通过一点点魔法 他和他的狗交换了身体
Through a little dose of magic, he has his mind swapped with his dog.
喜剧效果接踵而至
And comedy ensues.
从另一个角度观察他的生活
Seeing his life from a different perspective,
以另一种方式接触他的母亲
seeing his mom from a different perspective,
他看清了他真实的处境
he sees the truth of his situation
也终于愿意与家人分享他的生活
and is able to finally share his life with his family.
你好
Hi.
我觉得做火花短片最有趣的地方就是
I think what's fun about the SparkShorts
它让一个个小团队聚集起来
is that it allows a bunch of smaller teams to come together
努力发掘讲述故事的新方式
and try to find new ways to tell the stories.
让你能看到并感受到
You see and feel the hand.
你能感受到历史 -没错
You feel the history. - Exactly.
当我第一次向工作室阐述这个想法的时候
When I first pitched this idea to the studio,
我收获了满满的支持
I was blown away by how supportive everybody was.
这是皮克斯公♥司♥第一部以同性恋为主题的短片
This was the first time that Pixar had ever dealt with a gay-themed short.
我们经常坐在屏幕前 传出此起彼伏的惊叹
We always had these moments where we sat back and went, "Whoa."
哇 你真的得在那个情绪里呆一会
Wow. You had to sit in the emotion for a bit.
就算是这样 在和一大群人一起看的时候我还是会很感动
And it still gets me when I watch it with a group.
来啦
Coming.
嘿 欢迎
Hey.
我做了你最爱的披萨炖锅菜
I made your favorite. Pizza casserole.
披萨炖锅菜是由通心粉 调味酱
Pizza casserole is macaroni and sauce,
意大利香肠 蔬菜 和碎牛肉一起做成的
pepperoni, vegetables and ground beef.
孩子们都喜欢吃哦 -孩子们都喜欢吃 没错
And the kids love it. - "And the kids love it." Yes.
你觉得这是哪个地方的做法 是不是
Where do you think this came from? Was it like a...
我不知道
I have no idea.
《加拿大生活杂♥志♥》上介绍过对吗
Canadian Living Magazine had it at one time?
我也不知道
I have no idea.
贝贝 贝贝
Babe. Babe.
你可以放在这里 -来了
You can set that over here. - There you go.
好嘞 搞定啦 就这样
Here you go. Done. That's it.
深柜是什么样的感受呢
What does it mean to be closeted?
这意味着你在这个世界上找不到属于自己的位置
It means not knowing your place in the world.
也意味着坐在自己的房♥间里
And it means sitting in your room
独自一人写写画画 度过童年时光
and drawing by yourself a lot when you're a kid.
那时候 我不记得在我们家里或者整个社会上
Back then, I don't remember the word gay or lesbian
出现过男同性恋 女同性恋这些词语
being even brought up in our home or our society.
我们也不知道这种事情要怎么说出口
We didn't know how to talk about this kind of stuff.
我们在脑海中准备了很多东西
We build it up in our own heads so much.
除非说出口能带来好的影响
Because unless you have positive influences,
但你无从知道结果
you have no way of knowing.
我们也不知道结果会不会好
There's nothing to say if it's gonna be good.
当过了整整27年你都没有说出来
When you spent 27 years of your life not talking about it,
那便需要一段时间才能克服
it takes a while to get over.
最后你终于把那件事说出口了 -好吧
Then you finally say the words, then it's like... - Well, okay.
可以啊 -继续呗
Yeah. - Carry on.
我听说过很多
There are some devastating
令人绝望的出柜经历
coming out stories that I've heard from people.
我父母对于我和我最小的弟弟
My parents have been great for how they reacted
出柜的反应都很平静
to both me and my littlest brother.
这是莱恩 -嘿 你好
That's Ryan. - Hey.
我们一向接受我们所有孩子本来的样子
We always accepted all our kids the way they were.
嘿 -嘿 莱恩
Hey. - Hey, Ryan.
你好呀 -真好
Hi. - So good.
我们家这么多年来一直很包容
As we were an accepting family all those years,