他们说 这是在你妈妈和你♥爸♥爸
And they said, "This was a tape that was recorded
结婚前录制的磁带
"before your mom and dad got married.
我们没有录音机 所以没办法听
"We don't have a tape player, so we couldn't listen to it.
但我们可以肯定上面有你们爸爸的声音
"But we're pretty sure your dad's voice is on here."
我没有听过我爸爸说话 也从未想过能听到
I had never heard my dad speak and never thought I would hear him speak.
于是我们播放了那盘磁带 听着
So, we put the tape in, we're listening to it
我听到我妈妈20年前的声音
and I'm hearing my mom and how she sounded 20 years ago,
还有其他家庭成员
and family members,
每隔几分钟他们就会问 比尔呢 也就是我爸爸
and every few minutes they say, "Where's Bill?", which was my dad's name.
有人会回答 比尔去买♥♥邮票了 马上就回来
And they'd say, "Bill went to get stamps. He'll be right back."
不知道他在干什么
Or, you know, whatever he kept...
他一直都没在房♥间里
He was never in the room.
终于 在接近录音的结尾
And then, finally near the end of the tape,
我姑姑硬是走向他说
my aunt corners him and says...
过来打声招呼 好让大家知道你能说话
Just say hi so they know you can talk.
然后我爸爸就说
And my dad says...
嗨
Hi.
刚刚那是比尔
That was Bill.
然后她又说 再说点别的
And then she says, "Say something other than 'hi.'"
然后他说 拜拜
And he says, "Bye."
拜拜
Bye.
就这样了
And that's it.
这为《1/2的魔法》提供了非常重要的灵感
That became a big inspiration for Onward.
想要与爸爸说话的这个想法
The idea of wanting to talk to Dad.
我也说不清楚生活中
I couldn't quite put my finger on what I was missing
因为没有父亲而失去了什么
for not having a father in my life.
直到一位知道我和我哥哥感情的朋友
It wasn't until a friend of mine heard the relationship I had with my brother
告诉我 你不想念爸爸
that she said, "The reason you don't miss your dad
是因为你哥哥就像你♥爸♥爸一样
"is because your brother was your dad."
我震惊了 我从来没有这么想过
And it blew my mind. I had never thought of that before.
我父亲去世的时候 我妈妈与我哥哥谈话
When my father passed away, my mom talked to my brother.
当她说 你♥爸♥爸不会再回来了
And when she said, "Your dad's not coming back anymore,"
年仅三岁的他回答 我会帮你一起养丹尼长大
he said, at three years old, "I'll help you raise Danny."
我觉得他这么做非常感人且不可思议
I just found that fascinating and amazing that he had done that.
我十分想向他展示他所做的一切
And I think more than anything, I wanted to show him that he'd done that
并告诉他我非常感激
and show him that I appreciated it and thank him for it.
这最终成为了电影的主题
And that really became what the movie was about.
我们不是在拍自传
It's not an autobiography that we're making.
我的故事或许很有趣 但是做成电影还不够
My story might be interesting, but maybe not enough to be a film,
这就是戏剧化过程的一部分
and that's part of the dramatic process.
你从个人经历中提炼出精华 要把它制成电影
You take the gem of your personal story and then you have to make it a movie.
《1/2的魔法》讲述了一对精灵兄弟
Onward is the story of two elf brothers
踏上寻找零星魔法的旅程
who go on a quest to find a little bit of magic
这些魔法能够让他们与已故父亲团聚一天的时间
that will allow them to spend one day with the father that they lost.
这个设定来源于我们思考
That was the way we came up with the world was just thinking,
怎样才有可能见到一位死者
"How could it ever be possible to meet a person who had died?"
然后我们想到了魔法
So then, we thought magic.
如果他们施个咒语就能让父亲起死回生
What if they did a magic spell and they were able to bring Dad back?
就是这样
And that was it,
这就是电影为什么
the genesis of why the movie
设定在一个魔法世界里
takes place in a world that involves magic.
在电影早期的开♥发♥过程中
Early on in the development of the movie,
我希望新蘑菇屯可以以克劳森为原型
I wanted New Mushroomton to be based on Clawson.
当我们正式开始设计新蘑菇屯时
Once we started actually designing New Mushroomton,
皮克斯的许多画师开始查克劳森的参考
a lot of the artists at Pixar started to look at reference of Clawson.
他们说 这座城很新奇古怪
They said, "It's really quaint.
有着独特的魔力
"It's really nice and magical in its own way."
所以我们渐渐将新蘑菇屯塑造得更加现代
So, over time we made New Mushroomton a little bit more of a modern city.
我哥哥比尔和我妈妈到目前都还没有看过这部电影
My brother Bill, and my mom, as of this moment, haven't seen the movie.
我还没看电影 但我看了预告片
I haven't seen Onward yet, but I've seen the trailers.
看着荧幕上作为精灵的自己 非常奇怪
It's very strange to see myself on screen being an elf.
但我还是很像人类的 除了耳朵
But I look sort of human except for the ears.
我觉得伊恩比较像丹
I would say Ian kind of reminds me of Dan.
特别是格子衫 丹特别喜欢格子衫
Especially the plaid shirts. Dan loved plaid shirts.
比尔一点都不像巴里
Bill doesn't look a thing like Barley.
我几乎一直对我哥哥保密
And then my brother I've kept out of the loop almost completely,
因为制♥作♥这些电影需要五年
because these movies take five years to make,
我认为你应该带着给某人献礼的想法
and I think you really should make them for someone.
这样电影才会保持新鲜与刺♥激♥
That way the movies stay fresh and exciting.
所以我想象我哥哥作为电影的观众
So, I imagined my brother as the audience for this film.
我不怎么知道电影里面都有什么
I know very little about what's really in the movie.
我没有跟他说过
I haven't talked to him at all about the fact that
我认为他就像爸爸 这部电影会帮我传达这个信息
I think he's been like a parent to me. The movie will be that talk.
我只知道故事大致改编于我们的生活
I just know that it's loosely based on our experience and our lives.
电影的主题大概是
The movie's sort of built on this idea of,
如果你可以与已经离去的人过一天
"What if you could spend a day with someone you lost?"
实际上不行 完全不可能
But you can't. No one can. It's impossible.
电影最终想传达的是利用并感激你所拥有
It's a movie about using what you have and appreciating what you have.
我很期待看到电影
I'm really lookin' forward to seein' it.
欢迎来到《1/2的魔法》杀青派对
Welcome to the Onward wrap party.
我哥哥从密歇根赶来
My brother flew out from Michigan.
今晚他将第一次观看电影
He's here tonight to see the movie for the first time.
女士们先生们
Ladies and gentlemen,
《1/2的魔法》
Onward