成为一名专职作家意味着即使在不愿意的时候
Being a professional writer means you have to write,
也必须坚持写作
even when you don't want to.
因为你手头的项目必须要在某个日期前完成
Because you have the burden of the project that you're working on
这是你所要承受的负担
has to be completed by a certain date.
所以如果你缺乏灵感 就得想办法找到它
So if you're lacking inspiration, you better go find it somewhere.
也有时候 灵感会恰到好处地来临
But sometimes, inspiration hits at just the right time.
我叫坎普·鲍尔斯
My name's Kemp Powers,
我是《心灵奇旅》的联合编剧与联合导演
and I am the co-writer and co-director of Soul.
《心灵奇旅》讲述了一个男人的故事
Soul is a story of a man who has always felt
他一直觉得自己的人生目标是要成为一位音乐家
like his life's purpose was to be a musician.
电影的主角 乔·加德纳
The main character in the film, Joe Gardner,
是一位中学老师
is a middle-school band teacher
他的梦想是要成为一位专业的爵士音乐家
who dreams of being a professional jazz musician.
在年复一年的工作之后
And on the day that he gets his big break,
他的人生迎来了重大突破
basically gets his dream,
就在快要实现梦想的那一天 他死了
after decades and decades of work, he dies.
但因为感觉被世间玩弄 他拒绝死亡
But feeling cheated by the universe, Joe refuses to die.
为了回到人世 他愿意做任何事
He's willing to do anything to fight his way back to Earth,
这样就能有第二次机会 过上他自认为应得的生活
to get a second chance to live the life that he feels like he's earned.
对我而言 《心灵奇旅》是一项融入我个人情感的梦幻项目
Soul is really, really personal, and a bit of a dream project for me.
这部电影的主角是一个和我年龄相仿的黑人
The lead in this film is a Black man, who's about my age,
他和我一样来自纽约 又是一位爵士音乐家
who's from New York, like me, who's also a jazz musician.
而我也热爱爵士乐
And I love jazz music.
我小时候曾在爵士乐队演奏过
I used to actually play in a jazz band when I was a kid.
我也给自己的儿子取名为查尔斯·明格斯
My own son is named after Charles Mingus.
因此这个故事中的很多元素
So, there were lots of elements of this world
我都能完全理解
that I understood pretty thoroughly.
在我加入之前
The film had already been in development
这部电影已经筹备了好几年
for several years before I came on board.
要跳上这趟飞快的火车可不算容易
So, there was a certain element of jumping onto a fast-moving train.
就这些 然后 -没错
All that, and then... - Yeah. Yeah.
创意写作是我的第二项职业
Writing creatively is a second career for me.
此前我做了将近17年的记者
I was a journalist for almost 17 years.
我以一个剧作家的身份开始从事创意写作
I got into creative writing as a playwright,
我写过剧本 给电视剧编剧
and I've written screenplays, I've written for television,
但是为动画写剧本
but writing for animation
就需要我将毕生所学结合运用起来
combines elements of all the other kinds of writing that I've done.
相比其他媒介 这样的写作强度也更高
And it's more intense of an experience than writing for any other medium.
通常而言 剧本写作是一个人单打独斗
Generally speaking, screenwriting is a really solitary pursuit.
但在皮克斯 这是一项团队活动
But at Pixar, it's definitely more of a team sport.
写剧本的同时 电影也在制♥作♥
The film is actually being written as it's in production.
没有在银幕上看到画面的话
There's no idea that you write on the page that you can determine
你根本不知道自己在纸上写下的内容是否行得通
whether it works or doesn't work without seeing it up on screen.
这意味着每一步都有许多人参与
That means that a huge number of people are involved every step of the way.
在他的想象中 这些都是影响深远的时刻
When he projected, these were impactful moments.
我从来没有在一整个项目中
I've never collaborated with so many different people
和这么多不同的人合作过
across the whole spectrum of a project.
不只有联合编剧 不只有导演
Not just the co-writer, not just the director,
还有故事板画师 剪辑师 动画师 角色设计师 布景师
but the story artists, the editors, the animators, character design, sets.
你必须真正相信合作精神
So, you have to really believe in the spirit of collaboration,
因为有好几百人都在一齐尽着最大的努力
because there's hundreds of people, all working their hardest, in unison,
我们必须互相沟通协作
and we have to communicate with one another.
为动画电影创作剧本
Writing on an animated film
意味着笔下的世界和角色必须要让人感到真实
means having to come up with worlds and characters that feel real.
当我加入的时候
When I started,
主人公的角色已经在一定程度上构建起来了
the main character had already been developed to an extent.
但还是感觉不太真实
But he didn't feel real yet.
我们一直在问自己乔还缺了什么
We kept asking ourselves what was missing about Joe,
以及怎样让他感觉像是个真正的非裔美国人
and how do we make him feel authentically more African American.
与此同时 这是在给所有人讲述一个故事
At the same time that you're telling a story for everyone,
要确保来自特定地区的人们都觉得它是真实的
you wanna make sure that the people from these specific worlds see it as authentic.
我就是想把他塑造成一个黑人
And I just wanted to recognize Joe as Black.
因此 在乔得到机会进行表演的一个场景
So, there's a scene when Joe gets this big opportunity to perform,
他穿上了一件特别的衣服 那是他的演出服
he gets a special suit. It's his gig suit.
但作为一个黑人
But as a Black man,
我觉得他在为这个重要日子做准备时
it didn't feel right to me that he would be getting ready for his big day
不去理发 感觉不太对劲
and not also get his hair cut.
因为 基于那时我们对乔的设定
Because, based on the design that we had for Joe at the time,
我就一直在想 这家伙需要理发了
all I kept thinking was like, "This guy needs a haircut.
因为这样看起来有点乱
"'Cause it kind of looks a mess.
他应该关注一下自己的发型
"He should be concerned about getting that hair fixed."
哪怕就梳一下 比如说 我的头发现在就没梳整齐
Even just lined up as, say... Like, my hair's not lined up right now.
所以 说实话 我现在甚至就不该出现在镜头前
So, to be perfectly honest, I shouldn't even be on camera at the moment.
我只是看着乔的头发 然后我就明白了
So I was just looking at Joe's hair and it dawned on me, like,
就感觉 答案就在我们眼前
"Oh, the answer's right in front of our face."
乔必须要做的是 一是把头发理好
Joe had to, A, get his hair fixed.
二是去到一个黑人的空间
And B, enter a truly Black space,
而在社区里
and there's really no more authentic
没有比理发店更地道的黑人空间了
Black space in the community than a barber shop.
因此我自己一个人去找了导演 彼特·道格特
So, I just reached out to the director, Pete Docter, on my own.
我在半夜给他发了邮件
I sent him an email in the middle of the night,
向他解释让乔去理发是多么重要
explaining how important it would be for him to get a haircut.
以及在这部电影中出现黑人理发店的必要性
And how important it would be to see a Black barber shop in this particular film.
然后他就说 那你就写下这个场景吧
So, he was like, "Why don't you just go ahead and write the scene,
我们就从那里开始
"and we'll kinda go from there?"
我们要去我的理发师丹尼的理发店
We're heading to my barber, Danny. His shop.
丹尼给我理发已经快十年了
I've been getting my hair cut with Danny for about close to 10 years now.
他理得让我十分满意
He just does it the way I like it.
在很多情况下 你的理发师可能是
Your barber, in many cases, is the person that you might have
除配偶和孩子外 和你有最长久的持续关系的人
the longest continuing relationship with, outside of your spouse or your children.
要找到一个让你舒服的理发师非常困难
It's really hard to find a barber that you're comfortable with.
因此 当你找到他了 就会一直用他
So when you find your guy, you really, really do stick with them.
你第一次见到我的时候 还以为我是个老乡
You thought I was a homeboy when you first met me.
黑人理发店就有点像社区里的城镇中心
The Black barbershop is kind of like the town center of the community.
你去到一个普通的黑人理发店
You can go to your average Black barbershop
那里就有黑人演员或是清洁工正在理发
and there will be a Black doctor or a lawyer waiting to get his hair cut
后面是黑人医生或律师在等着
after an actor or a garbage man.
在理发店 我们都是一样的
When we're in the shop, we're all the same.
即使你觉得自己是个小人物
Even if you feel like a small person,
觉得这个世界不尊重你 亏待你
and the world doesn't respect you or treat you right,
但在理发店 你都是有价值的 你的意见很重要
in the barbershop, you have worth. Your opinion matters.
在椅子上坐着的那20分钟 你就是国王
When you're in the chair for that 20 minutes, you're king.
完美 -谢了伙计
No. Perfect. - Thanks, man.
没问题 -周末愉快 伙计
You got it. - Have a good weekend, man.
为了处理这种特定的文化问题
In order to deal with this kinda culturally specific stuff,
皮克斯建立了内部的文化智囊团
Pixar created an internal culture trust,
由皮克斯的黑人员工组成
which is made up of a lot of the Black Pixar employees.
还有一个外部的文化智囊团
And an external culture trust,
都是艺术中的黑人表征方面的专家
which is experts on Black representation in the arts.
但挑战之一就是要把10个黑人
But one of the challenges of bringing 10 Black people
带到一个房♥间里 然后说 作为一个黑人意味着什么
into a room and say, "Okay, what does it mean to be Black?"
必将得到10种不同的答案
You're gonna get 10 different answers.
没有一个统一的黑人故事
There's no one Black story.
另一个角色就空洞了
The other guy is empty...
我要尽力讲述一个真实的故事 也要带入自己的经历
I'm trying to tell a story that's authentic and bring in my experience.
但我没法代表所有人
But by no means do I represent everyone.
尽管这个理发店的场景
So, the barbershop scene,
来自我作为黑人的个人经历
it came from this very personal place as a Black man.
但作为一个编剧
But then it was my job as a screenwriter...
我要用一个合理的方式展现它
to execute it in a way so that it makes sense,
因为你不能仅凭种族问题 就在这样的大制♥作♥电影中
because you can't make any decision in a film of this size and scope
草率做决定
simply based on racial issues.
那样的话 就可以放上一堆
If that were the case, you could just throw a bunch
文化相关的笑话然后草草了事了
of culturally specific jokes in there and call it a day.
而我们不会这样做
But that's not what we do.
它必须由一个故事结构的立足点
It has to work from a structural standpoint
以及一个情绪立足点
and from an emotional standpoint.
你说你尽力了
"You say you tried..."
要加上一个新的场景并不容易
There was some resistance in the beginning to adding a new scene
那会需要一批新的角色和新的布景
that would require a whole bunch of new characters and a new set.