I've been in the scholastic profession long enough to know
我在教育这一行呆了这么久当然了解
that nobody enters it
没人会愿意进入这个行业
unless he has some very good reasons he is anxious to conceal.
除非他有着什么不可告人的原因
I'm keen to find something that I can stick at.
我现在很想找点事做
I hope that being a schoolmaster may be it.
我希望我能当一位教师
What have you heard about The League of Nations?
关于国际联盟你都知道些什么
I fear I'm in the soup again.
我怕是又陷入了困境
I've told Flossie I'm going to announce our engagement.
我告诉了Flossie 我们即将宣布婚讯
I hope Mama falls in love again.
我希望妈妈能重觅良人
She's still so young and beautiful.
她仍然这么年轻美丽 绝艳惊人
Would you be interested in spending the summer with us?
有兴趣和我们一起度过这个夏天吗
That was a good binge.
刚才喝得真是开心
That was one of the most memorable evenings of my life.
这是我一生中最值得纪念的夜晚之一
Marriage is a grim institution!
婚姻真是一个糟糕的制度
You didn't enjoy your first one?
你的第一次婚姻不幸福吗
It was in Ireland. I was as tight as a lord.
当时在爱尔兰的时候 我如爵士一般干练
So was the priest.
如牧师一般虔诚
God knows what became of Mrs Grimes.
鬼才知道Grimes夫人怎么回事
None of this is what I would have chosen for myself,
发生的这些事都不是我自己选择的
not by a long chalk.
完全不是我选择的
Cheer up, Grimesie. No! No! Get off me!
振作起来Grimesie 不 不 别碰我
Why did no-one warn me?
为什么没有人警告过我
Why did no-one warn me?!
为什么没有人警告过我
They warned me about the fires of hell,
他们警告过我地狱之火
noone warned me about marriage! Ssh!
却没有人警告过我婚姻 嘘
No-one said that, at the end of the flower-strewn lane,
从来没人说过 在那条鲜花簇拥的道路尽头
there were the hideous lights of home,
会闪烁出家庭的骇人之光
the terrible voices of children!
还会传出孩子们刺耳的叫声
Try not to wake the boys. Or Dr Fagan!
不要吵醒学生们 还有Fagan博士
Ssh! Ssh!
嘘 嘘
Inside voices.
不要出声
I gather you're excellent at the organ.
我听说你很会弹奏管风琴
Will you play at my wedding?
你可以在我的婚礼上弹奏一曲吗
I can't, I've injured my hand.
不行 我的手受伤了
Oh, no! How did you do that?
噢 不 怎么伤的
Playing games.
玩游戏弄的
To be honest, I can't play the organ, Grimes.
说实话 我不会弹管风琴 Grimes
You just teach it?
那你还教人学管风琴
Will you... will you be best man, then?
那你可以做我的伴郎吗
Yes. I'd be honoured.
可以 不胜荣幸
Sorry, Prendy!
抱歉了 Prendy
Ssssh!
嘘 嘘
What is this... terrible impulse to build homes?
这是怎么回事 一时冲动要组建家庭吗
Flossie has the itch, all right.
是Flossie思春了 好吧
She's already told me she wants children.
她早就告诉我她想要孩子了
Ah! I fear I'm a blind alley off the main road of procreation.
啊 在生儿育女这方面我恐怕是不行了
I don't think people would ever fall in love
我认为人们永远不会谈恋爱的
if they hadn't been told about it.
只要你不告诉他们去谈恋爱
It's like going abroad, you know
这就像是出国 你知道吧
you'd never think of doing it
你永远也想不到要出国
unless someone had told you it existed.
直到有人告诉你外面还有其他国家
I don't know if that's true.
我不知道这是不是真的
I can vouch for the exciting tingle of unexpected emotions
但我敢说体验那种从未经历过的情感时 是很激动的
one can feel when you encounter someone special.
当你遇见那个人时 你能感受的到
Like a sort of unstoppable primal... flushing.
就像那种无法掩饰的发自内心的脸红
Good evening.
晚上好
Mr Pennyfeather?
Pennyfeather先生
I'm afraid to admit that Captain Grimes
我不得不承认Grimes上尉
is not the son-in-law I would readily have chosen.
并不是我想要选择的那种女婿
He can usually handle his drink, sir.
他平常是不会酗酒的 校长
Well, I could forgive him his wooden leg,
我可以忍♥受他有一条假腿
his abominable features and his moral turpitude,
还可以忍♥受他糟糕的外表 卑鄙的品行
if only he were a gentleman.
如果他是一位上层人士
I dare say you've discerned his worst weakness.
我敢说你也发现了他最糟糕的缺点
I need not particularise.
我不需要详细举例
One comes across it with regularity in the teaching profession.
他在教学过程中表现出了高度的自律
But I do wish a man with such instincts
但我确实希望这么自律的男人
was not marrying my daughter.
娶的不是我的女儿
Would you marry her?
你可以娶她吗
Well, she's a lovely woman.
她是个可爱的女士
I don't mean in theory!
我不是说说而已
I'm asking you to help me, Paul.
我是请求你帮助我 Paul
I've come to trust and respect you and I'm asking you
我信任你 尊重你 所以我请求你
if you would like to marry my daughter, Florence.
你是否愿意娶我的女儿Florence为妻
But she's engaged to Captain Grimes at the moment, sir.
可是她已经和Grimes上尉订婚了 校长
I've spoken to her and I've discovered
我已经和她谈过了 我发现了
that she has no strong inclination towards Grimes in particular,
她并不是说坚贞不渝非Grimes不嫁
but she's very keen -- desperate, in fact --
但是她渴望 极度渴望 说实话
to be married before her 30th birthday.
想要在她的30岁生日之前完婚
I see. Look...
这样啊 听着
I'll offer you a partnership in this school, too.
我会让你成为这所学校的合伙人
And that's worth about wow 1,000 a year.
那可是一年有着1000镑工资的
Well, it's a very generous offer, sir. Mm.
这确实是一个很慷慨的提议 校长 嗯
And she's a handsome...
她是一个美丽的
very handsome woman.
非常美丽的女士
But I can't.
但是我做不到
All right. Of course.
好吧 当然
I quite understand.
我非常理解
It's just this Saturday's wedding
只是这个周六的婚礼
is a humiliation I would like to have avoided.
对我来说是个羞辱 我不想参加
And Tangent's going to have his foot amputated on Saturday, too.
而且Tangent这个周六要去做截肢手术
Perhaps that is the event you should attend, as headmaster.
或许你可以参加他的手术 以校长的身份
Philbrick's an inscrutable soul, isn't he?
Philbrick是个捉摸不透的人 不是吗
I don't know what he's doing here. He wasn't invited.
我真不知道他来这干嘛 又没有邀请他
You know he's not really a butler?
你知道他其实不是一个管家吗
He's a retired thief.
他是个金盆洗手的盗贼
Is he? I know he's a successful novelist.
是吗 我听说他是个出色的小说家
Philbrick?
Philbrick吗
He's a millionaire ship-owner.
他是个身价百万的船长
Son of the Archbishop of Canterbury.
坎特伯雷大主教之子
Yeah. He told me all about it.
他都跟我说过的
He told me he was a bank robber.
他告诉我他是个银行大盗
I wonder which of his stories are true?
我很好奇这些事迹哪个才是真的
None of them, I suppose.
都不是真的 我猜
Everything all right, gentlemen?
一切都还好吗 先生们
We know your game, Philbrick.
我们知道你耍的什么把戏 Philbrick
We've being comparing stories.
我们在对照你所说的事迹
One day, I'll tell you the truth
终有一天我会告诉你们真♥相♥的
and you won't believe that, either.
到时候你们也不会相信的
Because it's more extraordinary than
因为真♥相♥要远远超过
any of your tiny little minds could ever comprehend.
你们这些小脑袋所能理解的程度
As you were.
你们继续
Oh, God!
噢 天啊
Here comes the bride.
新娘来了
Is it too late to run?
现在逃婚来不及了吧
Yes.
是的
Let's start by singing Land of Hope and Glory.
让我们以歌♥唱<希望与荣耀的土地>来开场
**Land of...*
*土地
**Land of hope and glory*
*希望与荣耀的土地
Why is Dingy giving her away?
为什么是Dingy把新娘交给新郎
Where's Dr Fagan?
Fagan博士在哪
Into this holy union,
在这场神圣的婚礼上
Captain Colin Alexander frederick George Arthur Grimes
Colin Alexander Frederick George Arthur Grimes上尉
and Florence Fagan will be joined.
与Florence Fagan在此结为夫妻
Therefore, if any man or woman can show any just cause
因此 在座的各位有任何正当的理由
why they may not lawfully be joined together,
以表明他们不能合法结为夫妻
let him now speak, or else forever hold his peace.
请现在提出来 否则请永远保持缄默
Stop him!
拦住他
Get him! That way!
抓住他 那边
Back!
站住