"The young girl sat perfectly still in the confessional,
女孩 静静地坐在忏悔室里
"listening to her father's boots scrape like chalk
耳中是她父亲踩在
"on the ancient steps of the church,
教堂古老石阶上沙沙的脚步声
"then grow faint, then disappear all together.
她的意识模糊了 一切又都消失的无影无踪
"She could sense the priest beyond the grate..."
她能感觉到站在壁炉边的神父
On that particular Friday afternoon last February,
在去年二月那个特别的星期五下午
I was reading a story to my advanced writer's workshop
我正在给我的高级作家研讨班讲述一个故事
by one James Leer, junior lit major
作者是文学专业的新生詹姆斯·李尔
and sole inhabitant of his own gloomy gulag.
桎梏他内心的阴霾的古♥拉♥格♥劳动营中的唯一一员
"She bit the flesh of her lip,
“她咬了下自己的嘴唇
"closed her eyes, mute."
闭上了眼睛 一言不发”
James' stories were about as sunny as his disposition.
詹姆斯的故事和他的性情一样充满了阳光
I was distracted.
我不由得走了神
Maybe it had something to do with the fact that my wife had left me that morning.
也许这和我的妻子早上刚刚离我而去有些关系
So, anyone?
如何 大家有什么看法
Maybe not. Wives had left me before.
或许又不是 这种打击我以前也经受过
Carrie.
卡丽
As usual, James' classmates,
跟往常一样 詹姆斯的同学
aware of a writer's inherent vulnerability,
意识到一个作家固有的缺陷
offered their sensitive, gentle opinions.
给出了他们敏感又温和的评论
I mean, Jesus, what is it with you Catholics?
我意思是 天哪 你们这帮天主教♥徒♥到底怎么回事
All right. All right.
好啦 好啦
Let's try to be constructive here, shall we?
大家试着提意见富于建设性一些 好吗
Howard, what about you?
霍华德 你怎么想的
I hated it.
我憎恨这故事
His stories make me want to kill myself.
他的故事让我想自杀
That's not exactly what I meant by being constructive, Howard.
这可不是我所说的建设性评论 霍华德
Yes, Hannah?
汉娜 你来说
I think maybe we're missing the point.
我想或许我们没有看到关键所在
Hannah Green.
汉娜·格林
A talented writer who rented a room in my house.
一个租住我房♥子的富有才华的作家
I knew her to be insightful, kind
在我印象中她见解独到 和善可亲
and compulsively clad in red cowboy boots.
而且对红色牛仔靴情有独钟
I had, in fact, never once seen her without them.
事实上 我从来没有一次见到她没穿着它们
He respects us enough to forget us, and that takes courage.
他尊敬我们到了忽略我们的程度 而且 那需要勇气
Well put, Hannah. And a good note to end on, I think.
说得好 汉娜 我认为这给本堂课做了个很好的注解
Oh, don't forget about WordFest this weekend.
哦 别忘了这个周末的“文学盛典”
And those of you who are driving VIPs to the cocktail party this evening
那些为今晚的鸡尾酒会接送重要人物的
should have them at the chancellor's house no later than 5:30.
同学需要在5:30之前把人送达校长寓所
Thank you for that. Is he all right?
谢谢你刚才的评论他还好吧
I think so. How about you?
我想没事 你呢
Me? Yeah. Why?
我 挺好啊 干嘛这么问
Just checking.
问问而已
Turn off the light, please.
请把灯关掉
It felt good to be in the car.
待在车里的感觉很好
Alone. Where I could clear my head.
独自一人我可以理理自己的思绪
Tonight was the opening of WordFest,
今晚是“文学盛典”的开幕
the university's annual three-day "gabathon" for writers and wanna-bes.
我们大学为了作家和作家梦想者举办的每年一度历时三天的“讨论马拉松”
My editor, Terry Crabtree, was flying in for the event.
我的编辑 特里·克拉伯雷 也飞过来参加这个活动
He alone had championed my last novel, Arsonist's Daughter,
他为我的上一部小说 《纵火犯的女儿》 挺身而出
and its critical success had put us both on the map.
而小说获得的极大成功也让我俩声名大噪
But that was seven years ago...
不过那已经是七年前了
and I still hadn't finished my follow-up.
而我仍然没有完成第二部作品
I knew Terry didn't give a rat's ass about WordFest.
我知道特里其实压根就不在乎这个“文学盛典”
He was coming to town to get a look at my long-overdue book.
他来只是想看看我那本拖了许久的书写的如何了
I had to keep him at bay.
我不得不让他绝望了
Ah, Tripp. Crabtree, how are you, my friend?
啊 崔普 克拉伯雷 还好吗 我的朋友
It's good to see you, Tripp. Let me help you with this.
见到你太好了 崔普 我来提
Say hello to my new friend.
跟我的新朋友问个好
Miss Antonia. Sloviak.
安东尼娅 斯洛维亚
Nice to meet you. This way.
很高兴见到你这边走
I took the liberty of inviting Antonia to tonight's festivities.
我自作主张地邀请了安东尼娅参加今晚的庆典
The more the merrier.
人越多越好
Terry was telling me about you on the plane.
特里在飞机上给我讲了你的事
It was all so interesting.
真是太有意思了
I was just explaining how a book comes to be published...
我只是解释了一下书是怎么得以出版的
what you do as a writer, what I do as an editor.
你作为一个作家做什么 我作为一个编辑做什么
I sweat blood for five years, and he corrects my spelling.
我累死累活的写五年 他来校正一下拼写
That's exactly what he said. We know each other pretty well.
他就是这么说的 我们很了解对方
And actually, it's seven years.
事实上 是七年
You know how many times I've boarded an airplane just praying...
你知道我有多少次登机的时候期盼
that some gal like her would be sitting down beside me?
能有个像她那样的人坐我旁边吗
She's a transvestite. You're stoned.
她是个易装癖者 你喝多了吧
She's still a transvestite. So, how's the book?
那她也是个异装癖者 嗯 书写的怎么样了
Uh, it's fine. It's done.
嗯 还算顺利已经完成了
Basically. I got a little tinkering I've still got to do.
基本上来说 有些小地方还得修修补补 还得做些工作
Great!
太好了
I was hoping I could get a lookat it sometime over the weekend.
我本来就想着这个周末能先睹为快呢
It's gonna be a little tough. I'm at a critical juncture right now.
这怕有点困难 正写到紧要关头了
I thought you were just tinkering.
你不是说只要修修补补了嘛
W- Well, I am, but I have little details I've got to work on.
嗯 的确 可是还有些细节我得加工
I'm not gonna pressure you. I just got off the plane.
我不会逼你的我刚刚下飞机啊
I mean, I get pressure. You know? I get-
我意思是 我有压力知道吗 我有
Know what I mean?
懂我意思吗
What the hell in the hootenanny do you suppose that would be?
见他个大头鬼 你觉得那是什么东西
That would be a tuba.
那个应该是支大号♥
You didn't actually purchase this car, did you?
这车不是你买♥♥的吧 是吗
No, I got it from Jerry Nathan. He owed me some money.
不是 是杰里·内森给我的他欠我些钱
Ah! He owes God money.
啊 是人他就欠钱
Including my commission on that faux novel of his.
包括出他那本请人捉刀的小说欠我的佣金
That perfume you're wearing, Antonia...
你喷的香水 安东尼娅
that wouldn't happen to be Cristalle, would it?
该不会是克莉斯苔拉系列吧
Um, uh, yes, it is.
啊 是啊 没错
How did you know? Lucky guess.
你怎么会知道 蒙的
The WordFest kick-off party...
“文学盛典”的开场派对
was always held at Sara and Walter Gaskell's house.
总是在萨拉和沃尔特·加斯克尔的家里举♥行♥
She was the chancellor, which meant she oversaw the university.
她是校长 也就意味着她要监督整个大学
Her husband, Dr. Gaskell...
她的丈夫 加斯克尔博士
was the chairman of the English Department...
是英语文学系的系主任
which meant he oversaw me.
也就是我的顶头上司
Isn't that a nice greenhouse?
瞧那个暖房♥很不错吧
It's Mrs. Gaskell's. It's her hobby.
那是加斯克尔太太的 是她的嗜好
I thought you were Mrs. Gaskell's hobby.
我还以为你是加斯克尔太太的嗜好
Piss off, will you, Crabs? I lost a wife today.
滚一边去 克拉伯我老婆今天刚跑了
You'll find another. She'll be young, beautiful. They always are.
回头再找个年轻漂亮的 不是一直如此嘛
Oh, hello, everyone. Terry, good to see you again.
哦 各位好啊特里 见到你真高兴
Chancellor. Don't you look ravishing.
校长大人 你真是迷死个人
Oh, oh. Easy. I'm sorry, I'm sorry.
哦 哦 小心 抱歉 抱歉
It's these goddamn shoes.
都怪这些见鬼的鞋
I don't know how anyone can walk in these things.
我不知道别人怎么能穿着它们走路
Practice.
练习
I don't believe we've met. Antonia Sloviak.
我们应该是没有见过 安东尼娅·斯洛维亚
Poe.
波
Poe! Poe!
波 波
Poe, stop! Poe!
波 闭嘴 波
That wouldn't be Walter's dog, would it?
那不会是沃尔特的狗吧 是吗
Poe! Who's he barking at now?
波 他现在是冲谁叫呢
He's still barking at me. He's blind.
仍然在冲我吠 他眼睛瞎了
Stop this.
不许叫了
Honestly.
很抱歉
Excuse me, I need to talk to you for a second, Chancellor.
请原谅 我想跟你谈谈 校长
I need to talk to you too.
我也正好有事跟你说
Maybe you could help me take these coats to the upstairs guest room.
或许你可以帮我把这些外套拿到楼上客房♥里
I'd be happy to if I knew where the upstairs guest room was.
如果我知道楼上客房♥在哪里的话乐意效劳
I could show you.
我带你去
Terry.
特里
Yeah. Oh, yeah. We'll make ourselves at home.
对 哦 对了我们会宾至如归的
We'll let Poe show us around. Thanks.
让波领着我们转转 谢谢
That's new, isn't it?
那是新配的 是吗
Yeah, Walter just got it back from the framer.
对 沃尔特刚去镶的框
电影精选列表