肯尼迪夫人
Mrs. Kennedy?
是他们派我来的
They told me to come up.
请您节哀顺变
And I'm so sorry for your loss.
你看到他们写的文章了吗
Have you read what they've been writing?
克罗克 梅利曼以及其他人写的
Krock and Merriman and all the rest?
是的 我看到了
Yes, I have.
梅利曼真卑鄙
Merriman is such a bitter man.
这才一个星期
It's been just one week.
他们就已经把他当成布满灰尘的摆件
Already they're treating him like some dusty old artifact,
束之高阁了
to be shelved away.
那可不是铭记一个人的方式
That's no way to be remembered.
那您希望他如何被世人铭记 肯尼迪夫人
And how would you like him remembered, Mrs. Kennedy?
我...
I...
你知道我随后会对谈话记录进行校订吧
You understand that I will be editing this conversation?
以防我没把自己的意思表述清楚
Just in case I don't say exactly what I mean.
恕我冒昧
With all due respect,
这要求基本是不可能的 肯尼迪夫人
that seems very unlikely, Mrs. Kennedy.
那好吧
Right. Okay.
你要谈的是 你眼中的事件经过
So, this will be your own version of what happened?
没错
Exactly.
进来吧
Come in.
我当时还以为是礼宾车又逆火了
I thought it was another backfire.
我差点没有随行
I very nearly didn't go.
万一我当时选择待在这
What if I'd been here
或是跑去弗吉尼亚州骑马呢
or out riding in Virginia somewhere?
感谢上帝 我当时在他身边
Thank God I was with him.
为什么要说"感谢上帝"
Why, "Thank God"?
你知道我对历史的看法吗
Do you know what I think of history?
历史
Of history?
我读过很多书 人们都不知道
I've read a great deal. More than people realize.
书读得越多 我就不禁在想...
The more I read, the more I wonder...
书上白纸黑字记载的事
When something is written down,
就一定是真实的吗
does that make it true?
那是我们仅有的依据
It's all that we have.
那是曾经
Had.
现在有了电视
We have television now.
至少人们可以亲眼看到
At least people can see for their own eyes.
几年前 你接受CBS电视网邀请
That tour of the White House
录了一♥期♥参观白宫的节目
that you did a couple of years ago for CBS,
我总在揣测 你当时接受邀请
I always assumed that you did that for
是为了名利吗 你在那之前还上过时尚杂♥志♥
a purpose? No? After the fashion magazines?
你还获得过艾美奖
You even won an Emmy.
那期节目我不是为了自己做的
I didn't do that program for me.
我是为美国人♥民♥的
I did it for the American people.
通过那期节目 我才第一次看到白宫里面的样子
That program was my first glimpse into the White House
并且 不管怎么说 你当时的表现很棒
and, for whatever it's worth, I thought you were excellent.
-十分自然 -非常感谢
- Very poised. - Oh, thank you.
我相信即便你当主持人也一定会名声大噪
You could have had a career as a broadcaster, I'm sure.
什么
What?
您说什么
I'm sorry?
你刚才说什么
What did you say?
我说你会成为一名优秀的...
I said you could have a career...
会成为一名优秀的主持人
Could have had a career as a broadcaster.
你这是在给我做职业规划吗
Are you giving me professional advice?
我...
I'm...
没有
not.
但我相信 全国人♥民♥都在关注着
But I am sure that the whole country would like to know
你接下来要做什么
what you're going to do next.
我可以向你保证 绝不会进电视圈
I can assure you, not television.
欢迎来到白宫
Welcome to the White House.
欢迎来到白宫
Welcome to the White House.
我们很荣幸能把这里当成自己的家
We're so proud to call it home.
要不你试试 "人♥民♥官邸"
Why don't you try, "The People's House"?
显得与人♥民♥更戚戚相关
Make it more personal.
欢迎来到人♥民♥官邸
Welcome to The People's House.
我们很荣幸能把这里当成自己的家
We're so proud to call it home.
好些吗
Better?
杰克什么时候过来
When will Jack join us?
大家想让你来介绍
They want to hear from you.
人们都觉得我是个傻子
They think I'm a fool.
刚来白宫一年 浪费着人♥民♥的钱
One year in office, wasting their money.
所以你才应该让人们看到你的成绩
That's why you need to show them what you've done.
总统先生会在参观最后一站 门罗厅
The President will join you in the Monroe Room
跟你汇合
at the end of the tour.
你一定会很出彩的
You'll be great.
-跟紧我 -好的
- Stay close. - Of course.
你看起来很美 去吧
You look beautiful. Go.
你好 借过
Hello. Excuse me.
这是从南草坪望去
This is the White House
所看到的白宫的样子
as seen from its South Lawn.
下面 约翰·肯尼迪夫人
For the next hour, Mrs. John F. Kennedy
邀请您一同参观总统官邸
invites you to visit the President's House
看看她对白宫内部进行了哪些翻新
and see some of the restorations she's made in its interior.
约翰·肯尼迪夫人
Mrs. John F. Kennedy,
29位入住白宫的第♥一♥夫♥人♥中
third-youngest of the 29 wives
她是第三年轻的
to live in the White House.
肯尼迪夫人 我想感谢您
Mrs. Kennedy, I want to thank you
让我们参观您的官方宅邸
for letting us visit your official home.
很显然 您的翻新计划
This is obviously the room
基本就是在这个屋子里决策执行的
from which much of your work on it is directed.
是的 这里就是个杂乱的储藏室
Yes, it's attic and cellar all in one.
翻新工作开始后
Since our work started,
我们每天都会收到几百封来信
we receive hundreds of letters every day.
我们会在这里评估所有的物件
This is where we evaluate all the finds,
考虑是否进行保留
and see if we want to keep them,
看它们是否符合我们的预算
if they'll fit into our budget.
肯尼迪夫人 历任第♥一♥夫♥人♥
Mrs. Kennedy, every First Lady
以及自麦迪逊总统当选后历届政♥府♥
and every administration since President Madison's time,
都会对白宫
has made changes,
做出或大或小的改变
greater or smaller, in the White House.
在我们讨论您所作出的改变之前...
Before we look at any of the changes you've made...
您的基本方案是什么
Now, what's your basic plan?
其实我并没有基本方案
Well, I really don't have one.
因为我觉得 这栋建筑必将一直处于变化中
Because I think this house will always grow, and should.
只是我觉得有些遗憾
It just seemed to me such a shame
我们入住时发现
when we came here to find
房♥子里几乎找不到任何过去的痕迹
hardly anything of the past in the house.
1902年以前的痕迹
Hardly anything before 1902.
那么假设你和你的工作人员
Now suppose that you and your committee
会采用这房♥间里的某些物件
were to acquire some of the things that are in this room,
下一任总统夫人入住白宫时
what happens when the next President's wife
将如何处置这些东西呢
comes into the White House?
如果他们不喜欢...
Well, if they don't want it...
过去 大家都知道
In the past, you see,
他们可以卖♥♥掉或是扔掉
they could sell it or throw it out.
有言论称那是在浪费纳税人的钱
And the talk of the taxpayer money being wasted?
翻新白宫的每一分钱
Oh, I raised every dime privately
都是我亲自筹集的
that we spent on that restoration.
我...很喜欢那栋房♥子
I... I loved that house,
也愿意跟美国人♥民♥分享它
and I wanted to share it with the American people.
来共享美国的伟大和自豪感
To impart a sense of America's greatness.
陈设和工艺品会比人存在得更久远
Objects and artifacts last far longer than people,
它们记载着历史的重大理念
and they represent important ideas in history,
身份 以及美
identity, beauty.
但我可以肯定 读者们想知道
But I'm sure that, uh, the readers would like to know
作为您的家庭的一员 是种什么感觉
what it's like to be a member of your family?
想象一下 一个小男孩成长在这样的环境中
Imagine a little boy surrounded by all of this.
他的哥哥在战争中牺牲
Having his older brother die in battle,
他也前去参加同一场战争
and then going off to that same war
归来之后 成了个英雄
and coming home a hero.